ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Any plans to update NetTopologySuite?

Hi I have the following problem.

In the form.designer.cs I get this exception:

Could not load type 'GisSharpBlog.NetTopologySuite.IO.WKTReader' from assembly 'NetTopologySuite, Version=1.13.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=f580a05016ebada1'.
When i get to this line of code.
this.winformsMap1 = new ThinkGeo.MapSuite.DesktopEdition.WinformsMap();

I guess the reason is the mapcontrol is expecting NetTopologySuite.dll V.1.7.3.31740 that is bundled with the mapsuite dll's.
I have a nuget reference to NetTopologySuite current in version 1.13.
And GisSharpBlog.NetTopologySuite.IO.WKTReader has changed name in sometime after 1.7.3 ?

Question: Are there any plans to update the bundled NetTopologySuite dll any time soon?
(And perhaps update geoapi.dll and npgsql.dll)

- Niels

Hi Niels, 

MapSuiteCore is built with the specific version of NTS or GeoAPI. To upgrade those dependencies, we need to be very careful, because all our products are using those libraries. We need to do more research to see if it takes more advantage to our products, if it breaks our compatibility, can our current unit tests pass etc. We will let you know when we have a decision. 

On the other hand, could you show us the reason that to upgrade the assembly to latest version? We can add one reason to our list. We can also consider the scenario and give you some workaround for you temporary. 

Thanks a lot, 
 Howard

Hi Howard 

Any news on a decision? 

I would also like to add weight on the reasons to upgrade NetTopologySuite. Version 1.7.3 is in its java version more than 8 years old, and the .NET version is direct port of the java one. Having a look at the last 4 release news for the java version indicate the number of new features, performance improvements and bug-fixes that have been added since then: 

lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.dk/2009/01/jts-version-110-released.html 
 lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.dk/2010/03/jts-version-111-released.html 
 lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.dk/2011/06/jts-112-released.html 
 lin-ear-th-inking.blogspot.dk/2012/12/jts-113-released.html 

Some of these "new" features are to use, and currently with the options to re-implement it on top of 1.7.3, or maybe have to work with two versions at the same time (both is a mess…), so the sooner the better…

Hi Jesper, 

Thanks for your focus on the NetTopologySuite upgrade in Map Suite. 
 The current version (1.7.3) of NetTopologySuite does a bit old comparing the latest one, but like Howard mentioned above, the upgrade will be a big task for us and I guess we need to do more evaluations on that. 

Now, I have reported it to our manager and I will update here if any updates. 
 Thanks for your understanding. 

Regards, 
 Troy

Hello Jesper, 

We have decided to work on the upgrade and it would be done in the next release(Map Suite 8.0) if everything goes well. 
 If you have any good ideas on the latest NTS version, we are happy to consider into the upgrade. 

Thanks, 
 Troy

Hi Troy 

Thank you for the swift reply. We are happy to hear that there is an upgrade for Map Suite 8.0, we will look forward to that here in our end. 

Regards 
 Jesper

Hi Jesper, 

You are so welcome! The upgrade have been added into our schedule of our next release and I will update here once it have been done. 

Regards, 
 Troy

Hi

This pops up again and again. There are to many bugs and missing features in the version 1.7.3 of NetTopologySuite, which have been fixed in newer versions. We feel a bit being hold as hostage on this version due to MapSuite dependencies.

A newer versions of NetTopologySuite did not make it to version 8 or 9 of MapSuite. Are there any recent plans for this part?

Hi Jesper,

From our developer I know the 10.0 will contains the latest NTS edition.

Please wait our release this year.

Regards,

Don