ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Balloon Style Tooltip

Hi,

I read in another post that a balloon style tooltip for marker has been implemented in version 4.5.  I am using that version but can find no reference in the documentation.  Could you give me some insight, perhaps a code example.?

Thanks,

Steven

Steven, 

I am not familiar with Balloon Style Tooltip, could you provide more information about it? Such as which post is you mentioned.  

Once I get it, I will give your some insight as I can do. 

Thanks, 

James

James, 
   There is a series of posts entitled "I can find anything on balloon popups" where Yale says the following:  

11-10-2010 08:57 PM   
 We have added Marker which can do the same thing in 4.5.0.0 version of DesktopEdition. 

Search the Desktop forum for "balloon" and you will find it; or perhaps you should ask Yale. 

Steven 

Steven,

Thanks for you insight, I find it eventually

gis.thinkgeo.com/Support/Dis...fault.aspx

The reason I didn't find it is that I used internal search tool, it may use exact match algorithm, so I didn't get it because the Balloon in title is wrong spell, "I can find anything on Ballon popups", it missed a "o", I think forum search is using Google Engine so it could be better than internal search tool.

Any way, just share a funny thing. And we are working on your issue, I will update here if we find anything.

Thanks,

James

Steven, 

I inquired with our development team, and we provide a series of samples to show how to use Marker in HowDoI samples, you can download the DesktopEdition 4.5 package and then install on your machine, you can find the HowDoI sample under installation folder. 

Thanks, 
 James

James, 
   We already have purchased the package and I looked at those samples before posting here.  There is no mention of how to implement a balloon style tooltip for Marker in those samples.  Those samples use the standard tooltip and not the balloon style.  Was this not implemented in version 4.5 as Yale stated in the referenced post? 

Thanks, 
   Steven

Steven, 

Sorry for misunderstand, so you want to the sameple show how to use popup not marker, right? You can find the samples at HowDoI samples->Features->DetermineTheAreaOfAnAreaFeature/DetermineTheLengthOfALineFeature, and HowDoI samples->Getting Started->AddPopups, I am sure there are more samples which related with popup you will find. 

Thanks, 
 James

James, 
   I want to add a _balloon style_  tooltip for a Marker.  If you call that a popup, then that is what I want.  Funny thing, when I reread the ‘I can find ballon’ post, it was a James that stated that balloon style tooltip was implemented in Desktop v 4.5.  Was that you?  It seems like I have spent 3 days going back and forth with you and getting nowhere.  That would be a bad thing if I had a production requirement an was in a rush to implement. 

Thanks, 
 Steven

James, 
   I looked at those samples, that is not what I am looking for.  I do not want a message box or popup.  I am looking for a tooltip. 

Thanks, 
   Steven

James,

I believe the HowDoI samples->Getting Started->AddPopups sample you referenced is actually part of the WEB EDITION samples, not the Desktop Edition Samples. I did not find any Desktop Edition samples that show how to create a ballon tooltip like in the Web Edition samples.

If I undestand correctly Steven would like to have sample code on how to create a Balloon Tooltip like is shown in the WebEditionSamples - Markers - Set the Hover Popup of a Marker sample or in the WebEditionSamples - Getting Started - Add a Popup sample, but he wants to do this in the Desktop Edition.

If I am correct this is not really possible due to the limitations of a winforms environment, but will stand corrected if this is indeed possible.

Steven, 

Production level issues might be better handled via the Customer Portal. :)

Steven, is this the sort of thing you are looking for? When you hover over a point feature with your mouse you get a pop-up tooltip?

This screen dump is taken from my MapInfo application which I am porting over to ThinkGeo. So, this conversation is of great interest to me as I also need what I believe is the same functionality. i.e. labels/pop-ups/tooltips that appear whenever you hover over an object.

I would hope that this is not an impossibility due to winforms.

David,

It's very easy to add tooltip to marker like yours in screen-shot, you just need to set the ToolTipText property of a marker, I provide a sample code that you can refer to:

private void winformsMap1_MapClick(object sender, MapClickWinformsMapEventArgs e)
{
    SimpleMarkerOverlay markerOverlay = (SimpleMarkerOverlay)winformsMap1.Overlays["MarkerOverlay"];

Marker marker = new Marker(e.WorldLocation);
    marker.ToolTipText = "Earth quake, 2011-03-11";
    marker.Image = Properties.Resources.AQUA;
    marker.Width = 20;
    marker.Height = 34;
    marker.YOffset = -17;

markerOverlay.Markers.Add(marker);

winformsMap1.Refresh();
}

Thanks,

James

Well, it's never as easy as it seems! :-) 

a) Can the tooltip text be multiple lines as per my MapInfo example? 

b) My markers are using a custom rotated image style and are being read from a SQL Server 2008 database. Where would I define the tooltip text?  

I have a column called "Label" which I plan to use.

c) I note that the code is in the _click block - does this mean you have to click on the marker first? I just want the label to appear if I hover over any marker - I don't want to have to click on them.

David, 
   I am not with ThinkGeo, they are the real experts.  With that being said, I can address a and c.  For a, you can build a string with the carriage return and line feed at the line ends, add the next line of text with CRLF, etc.  For c, when you create the markers, just set the Marker.TooltipText, and the hover tooltip is the default.  It does not have to be in the click event.  Hope this helps. 

Steven

Thanks, Steven. Your description is exactly what I want to say.

David,

I think Ryan is right, the samples which I mentioned is only existing at WebEdition. So I am afraid we couldn't implement your requirement by current DesktopEdition API, you may need to write your own code to do it so far.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Thanks,
James