ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Cadfeaturelayer causes file not found exception

I am trying to create a CadFeatureLayer on a wpf map. This worked fine for me on the evaluation edition, but now I am on the licensed edition, and I am getting this FileNotFound exception:

“Could not load file or assembly ‘MapSuiteCore, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.”:“MapSuiteCore, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null”. I get the exception when calling GetBoundingBox on the layer, or when refreshing the overlay, that the layer is added to. 

I have not had any problems with other types of layers. I am using the new Map suite 9.0.0.23, so I find it strange that it looks for version 8. I tried to compile my project with the version 8 assemblies, but then it complained about not finding version 7 (or one of its dependencies).

Maybe it has something to do with the CADX64 assemblies that are needed for working with cad files. I can see in the output window in visualstudio that it manages to load CadDumperX64.dll, however, and the files all seems to be present in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Map Suite 9.0\CadX64.

Any ideas? 

Hi Jonas, 

Have you uninstalled eval edition before install full edition? 

When install new version we will update our dlls on system32 and syswow64 folder, so please make sure to fully install the new version. Or you can try to install SetupUnmanagedDependencies.msi, I am not sure whether it’s caused dlls in system folder hadn’t been updated. 

If possible please provide me more detail information about your environment so we can try to reproduce that. 

Regards, 

Don

More detailed info:

I had the eval version of MapSuite 8 installed at one point, but upgraded to the fully licensed version 8 a couple of months back. I cant remember if I uninstalled the eval version, but I would think so. It is not on the machine anymore. This week I upgraded to version 9. I have both version 8 and 9 installed at the moment, but I am only licensed for version 9, since I had to deactivate my version 8 license. A colleague of mine, who also has a licensed version 9 installed, but who has uninstalled version 8, is seeing the same issue.

As mentioned, the syswow64 folder seems to contain all the files it should. I dont know what the system32 folder is supposed to contain. The syswow64 folder contains both CADX86 and CADX64, and when I run my project in 32 bit, it finds the CadDumperX86.dll, but then throws the filenotfound exception immediately after, just as when I run it in 64 bit.

I have sent a sample project that is very simple. You have to update the reference to the dwg and the map suite dll’s of course. As mentioned I am using version 9.0.0.23.

You mention a SetupUnmanagedDependencies.msi - where can I find that?

Hi again. I did a few more tests on different machines, and I can run my sample without exceptions on a licensed edition, but only on a "clean" machine - one that never had any ThinkGeo version installed before.

I will try to uninstall all versions on my main dev machine, and then reinstall the licensed version 9.

I have uninstalled all ThinkGeo versions, and manually deleted the map suite folders in the SysWOW64 folder, since they were not removed while uninstalling MapSuite. Then I rebooted for good measure and reinstalled Map Suite 9.0. Frustratingly, I am still getting the same exception when running the sample project that I sent you. Have you been able to reproduce my problem?

Hi Jonas, 

I am sorry I still hadn’t reproduced your issue. Today I get your sample, run it with latest full edition for development version and release version, both of them run application succeed but hadn’t met any exception. 

As below is an Unmanaged Dependencies installer, please try it for update all related dlls to the latest: ap.thinkgeo.com:5001/fbsharing/A3f7l4vk 

Please let me know whether update dlls is helpful. 

Regards, 

Don

SetupUnmanagedDependencies.msi did not help, I keep getting the same exception. 

In order to reproduce the issue, you should install the fully licensed version on a machine that has (or have had) the eval version installed, and then run my sample. 

The cause of the issue seems to be the eval version, since it happens only on the machines that have had it installed.

This is a big problem for me and my team. Would it be better to make a support ticket through Customer Portal?

Hi Jonas, 

Ticket have higher priority, so next time if you have hurry question you can try to create ticket for it. 

But for this issue I think you don’t need create one because we are trying help you solve that. 

Today I tested that again but still hadn’t reproduce your issue. 

Please see whether we reproduce steps have any problem: 

1. Open an clean VM (win8 x64) with vs2012 and .net 4.5 
 2. Download 9.0 Product center 
 3. Download latest version of eval for WPF edition 
 4. Run the test sample 
 5. Uninstall eval version and install full version 
 6. Run the test sample again 

If I missed anything or the environment is not the same as yours please let me know. 

Regards, 

Don

Since I also had the problem I spend a lot of time trying to investigate this issue (blocked me when I could not use CadFeatureLayer in 9.0 at all). 

There are several things that seems strange but I am not sure what are errors and what are not. 
 First I went through my registry settings to look for Map Suite and Map Suite Unmanaged and everything that had 8.0 in it got deleted. I don’t know if this is just Windows that leaves a lot of stuff behind but there were a lot of entries to delete. This did however not fix the problem. 

The files located in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Map Suite 9.0 seems to be old. In the case of e.g. CadDumperX64.dll the version that is in the folder when you just install 9.0 is dated 28th of July 2014 (note 2014) and the one located in C:\Program Files (x86)\ThinkGeo\Map Suite 9.0\Shared Developer Reference\SysWOW64(on X64 Platform) or System32(on X86 Platform) is dated 22nd June 2015 (note 2015). If these files have not changed between 8.0 and 9.0 I guess it does not make a difference but it is odd that the old files are not updated by the 9.0 installer. Note that I also used the 9.0 Unmanaged Dependencies installer but it did not make a difference. However this did also not fix the problem. 

What did make it possible to see Cad files again was to use the normal Managed Assemblies and not the Strong Named assemblies. This is not an option for us because we need the Strong Named assemblies. I have tried this on a few computers now with the same result but can you at ThinkGeo confirm that this is the problem (can you reproduce it)? And if you can is it possible to release a new version of the Strong Named assemblies with a fix for this? It seems like these assemblies somehow refer to the 8.0 version of the Cad files. 

Or could it be something completely different that causes this because of our use of Strong Named assemblies? 

I have also been using the strong named assemblies, so please add that to a step in your reproduction recipe, Don.

Hi Morten, 

We keep trying to reproduce that, but unlucky hadn’t succeed till now. 

Our developer will help you built a strong named version and update here to let you know. 

Regards, 

Don

@Don can you say anything about when your developer will be able to built a new strong named version?

Hi Jonas & Morten, 

Please download the strong named version here: ap.thinkgeo.com:5001/fbsharing/5dB9aOoR   

The validity period for the link is one month. 

Regards, 

Don

Thanks a lot Don! 

Those files seems to have solved the problem. 

Will those files be part of a production release of 9.0 anytime soon?

Hi Morten, 

I am glad to hear that works for you! But I am sorry CAD related hadn’t been integrated into our product.  

It’s a special extension and maybe we will update that in our wiki, please use the downloaded dlls for now. 

Regards, 

Don

Sorry for the late reply, but it also works for me now. Good job, Don!  
 I have not tried deploying my project yet, but as I understand I can use the CAD merge module to get all the necessary files onto the users machines. Will the CAD merge module be updated with this fix in the near future?

Hi Jonas, 

Could you please let me know how you get that before?  Because it looks I hadn’t found the strong-named merge module, if I know how we provided that, I can talk with related manager to update it. 

Regards, 

Don

Hi Don 

I have not used any merge modules yet, I am just trying to think ahead:) I am not even sure I understand the concept to be honest. I imagine its a simple way to copy a lot of files onto the users machine during installation. But I am not yet sure if we need it for our deployment, so I won’t waste your time with this issue. I will make another entry here if we run into trouble. 

Thanks again.

Hi Jonas, 

Thanks for your update, if you met trouble when deployment please let us know. 

Regards, 

Don