ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Combining Similar Steps in Results

When comparing ThinkGeo’s routing of 2 points in New Jersey to Google Maps Direction API, I was shocked to see how the results come back from ThinkGeo.  For the same Start/End points:

Google returned:  30 steps, it took 4 seconds.

ThinkGeo returned: 889 steps, it took 65 seconds.

First, why can’t ThinkGeo routing combine the similar steps to consolidate these 889 steps to 30 steps?  

Second, why would Google and Bing take a matter of seconds to route via their APIs but ThinkGeo takes 65 Seconds?  None of our customers are going to wait 65 seconds or more every time they need to create a route for their driver.

Can someone shed some light on these two issues.

Hi Dave, 

For #1, the reason is that the routing has the different index file, which is generated by the routing index generator tool, and different weights with Google’s.  

For #2, the reason is that the routing has the different algorithms with Google’s and Bing’s, and also includes the #1 reason. 

Thanks, 

Peter

I figured this was the case.  I just don’t see after 2-3 months of evaluation where ThinkGeo is a usable product for any type of commercial application. The map control is very slow when panning, zooming or calculating extents to show multiple features.  The routing is far to slow to be used by a customer who will be routing 50-500 trucks each morning for their deliveries. 

We’ll likely be reaching out to Moritz to discuss this further.  I don’t see how ThinkGeo is even close to a mature enough product for commercial use.

Hi Dave, 

The RoutingIndexGenerator tool is just a demo for the guys who would like to build the routing index file, with a bit complicated scenarios, such including one-way, fastest or shortest consideration etc. but if we would like to make sure it behaviors similar with Google or Bing maps, I guess more work is required here, I mean more things or configurations we need to make for building Routing Index file. For the performance, I guess we are still limited to the state level, but I think it shouldn’t be so slow. Would you please update your requirements to forumsupport@thinkgeo.com, including some demo data, thus we can see if we can create a demo with a leverage between performance and result? Also would you please let us know which product you are using to show the map? I mean the map control you mentioned is very slow when panning. zooming etc. 

Thanks, 
 Johnny