ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Creating firewall holes for BingMapsLayer

We are trying to use the BingMapsLayer with the service edition.   It is working fine on our desktops inside or outside of the corporate firewall.    But from our servers, we are having no luck.

Corporate has enabled access to dev.virtualearth.net, and we are now able to get there ok.    However, when they watch our traffic, they see many additional requests emanating from a microsoft data center, or something?   I didn't really understand what they were saying.    They said they started with ces.whatever.

If a company had a firewall completely locked down for enabling a server access to external sites, can you document what we need to open in order to be able to use the BingMapsLayer?

Thanks!

Ted, 

I suggest that you hook to the SendingRequest event of the BingMapsLayer and see exactly what we are requesting.  The reason I say that and don’t just search the code and tell you what we have hard coded is that with Bing Maps, from my understanding, is that we make a request to certain API which returns a template that specifies where we should make the requests.  This means it is somewhat dynamic at run time and this might be a way for Microsoft to dynamically balance their load.  I did notice in the code that there is one request that we do not raise the event for and we will fix that.  The request was going to a hard coded URL dev.virtualearth.net though.  Below is a list of all of the URLs that we have hard coded that I can see. 

dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Imagery/Metadata/{0}?&incl=ImageryProviders&o=xml&key={1} 
 schemas.microsoft.com/search/local/ws/rest/v1 

David 

Thank you, David.   We will insert some logging code in this event handler.   But we have had Corporate watch traffic, and, indeed, they do see lots of URLs being used that appear to be dynamically generated. 

Corporate is refusing to open a large number of URLs on our servers.   I cannot imagine that we are in a completely unique position with this issue.  Does Microsoft not have any alternative solution that can stream images from a single URL?     

Assuming they do not, is there any option for us to run an imagery retrieving service on a external box, and stream images from that box on a single URL? 

I"m guessing that this is part of the reason we have not been able to deploy our web app on our own servers, when they work so well on your test servers :(

Hello Ted, 

I did some research, and sorry to say, single URL is not working for this. 

Please refer msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb259689.aspx, this is how BingMap tile work, and every tile need it’s own zoom, so in our code, wo have GetImageryUri method to generate the dynamic url. 

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Regards, 

Gary 

Regards, 

Gary

Thanks, Gary.

Your link was very helpful for understanding what is going on behind the scenes.   It describes what you must do to grab the correct tiles.  

But our issue is about the server IP addresses, and not the entire URL.    For that, we are seeing these requests go to things like ecn.t0.tiles.virtualearth.net.   We have to find the IP address of every potential server and provide to our firewall people.    And they say they cannot use *.virtualearth.net  :(    We asking them to open the servers we've seen up to this point, and will go from there.

Ted, 

I do have one suggestion that *may* work.  The template that Microsoft is using specifies a different server from time to time.  Maybe you can get a list of a few of them, maybe three or four.  Next hook to the BingMaps event that allows you to modify the URL and replace the URL host from the request to one of the few you grabbed.  It might be that any of the servers could fill the request but Microsoft used this to balance the load.  In this way you could hard code a few of them and it might all work.   

Beyond this not sure we are qualified to help you on this very much further than doing Google queries.  We don’t have a relationship with Microsoft beyond what you have as their client.  I think the Bing Maps team or the Bing Maps forums would be the appropriated place to query this.  Does licensing Bing Maps provide you with any sort of tickets or support incidents? 

David