ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Difference in simple routing and routing with algorithm

kindly explain me one thing what is the difference routing with without using any algo and routing using with an algo

means in example and sample there is simple routing which dosenot use any algo and there is partticulary an example routing using different algo dijsktra, A* and bidiresctional

if we do simple routing then on what parameters it calculate a route?

kindly tell me the parameters of simple routing i need to explain some one

is that route called shortest route?

Hi Sarah, 

Thanks for your routing questions. 

The SimpleRouting sample is just demonstrating the simplest RoutingEngine overload where the default RoutingAlgorithm is used. 

The RoutingEngine has several overloads, some that require an algorithm, some that do not. The RoutingEngine overload that does not require you to define an RoutingAlgorithm uses the default RoutingAlgorithm of DijkstraRoutingAlgorithm. For detailed information on each of the algorithms I would start in the API documentation section of our Map Suite Routing Wiki: wiki.thinkgeo.com/wiki/Think...gAlgorithm

You will notice that there is a Shortest and a Fastest route option in the sample. The difference between these two is nothing more than the RTG file that is used to create the route. The Fastest route uses an RTG file that has a modified weight values for each of the road segments. This weight value can be thought of as a distance, so if you modify the weight of a road segment to make it appear shorter to the RoutingEngine then it the Routing engine will attempt to use these shorter road segments. So in the Fastest RTG file we modified the weight values for each of the highways to make the highways appear to be shorter road segments, thus the RoutingEngine uses the highway in the Fastest scenario.

thanks for your reply ryan . it means if ur not specifying any routing algorithm in routign engine  for shortest path, it takes dijsktra by default for the calculation of shortest path

Yes, if you do not specify a Routing Algorithm the Routing Engine uses the default of DijkstraRoutingAlgorithm.