ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Does Routing Index have to match FeatureLayer?

I want to build a routing index (.rtg file) based on all roads in the USA.  But when I do routing I'd like to just query the roads in the area I'm currently interested in...say a county in NJ.  The purpose is to reduce the memory requirements (speed, etc.).

I'll be putting my road features in an SQL database and just query an extent that I am currently interested in, and then build a featurelayer based on the results of the query, i.e., a county in NJ.  So my question is, can I do that and use a larger overall index (.rtg file)?

Thanks!!

bob

Hi Bob,  

As you know there you create an RTG file from some sort of FeatureSource. There is a ID value that joins the RouteSegments in the RTG to the Features in the FeatureSource. The reason for this ‘join’ is so that you can utilize the RoutingEngine.RoutingResult types that return you the RouteSegmentsAndFeatures. This way you can easily render the route and also get column data back for each of the Features. 

As long as the ID values stay consistant I think this could work. I am not 100% sure on this so I would recommend setting up maybe a smaller scale test where perhaps you have a RTG for New Jersey, and then query only the features for your FeaturesLayer from one area of New Jersey. Then try to get a route using those two sources.

Actually, that is what I am trying to do.  We are asking the user for their address, which I geocode and turn into a Lat/Long, and then want to build a routing index based on all roads that are within 75 miles of the centroiod of that address.  In a test, it produced 9000 rows (of lines).  But I’m being held up by this error (see other thread). 

bob

Hello Bob, 

Please check that post for answer. Once you resolved that problem, then let us see if this problem resolved. 

Regards, 

Gary