ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Extract non-contiguous areas?

Can I use the extractor sample to extract non-contiguous areas? For example, I’d like to have the 48 states plus Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Is my only choice to make the rectangle big enough to encompass all of that (thus adding in a bunch of stuff I don’t really need) ?

Also, what do I enter for the Source Database Srid?

Thanks,

Jay

Hi Jay, 

I think you’re right, the extractor is one of our sample shows how to do a extract for a specified extent. 

If you want to do further extract, I think you should want to read its code and implement that by code. 

For source database srid, you can know that from where you get the data. 

Regards, 

Don

Hi Don. For the source database srid, I got that from ThinkGeo – I’m using the WorldMapKit database. When the code runs, the extent doesn’t match the logic for automatically determining the srid, so I’m not sure what to use. Can you tell me?

Hi Jay, 

I think our worldmapkit data should have two version, one for 4326 and one for 3857, I am not sure which one you downloaded. 

You should can get that from the file name or folder name, if you cannot find what’s the projection it is, you can try to render that to see whether its boundingbox for decimal degree or meter. 

Regards, 

Don

Hi Don. Yes, the file name includes the 4326, thanks.

Hi Jay, 

So is that should works for you now? 

Regards, 

Don

Hi Don. Yes, that worked for me. And I was able to modify the code to extract the multiple non-contiguous areas.

I am wondering, is it possible to modify to restrict the extraction based on a shape file, similar to what the tile cache generator does? It wasn’t clear to me how to do something like that.

Hi Jay, 

I think this utility shouldn’t be helpful if you want to use it for shape files. 

For shape file, you can build a custom utility yourself. 

1. Do spatial query based on your target extent. 

2. Create a new shapefile and append them to the shapefile. 

Or, you can try out GisEditor, it can help you on it. 

Regards, 

Don