ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

File Type of Index Files

The 'Build an Index File' sample program creates a file named citystate.dbf.

Is this really the index file?  I thought index files would have had some other file type like idx/ids.

Or is the next step that must actually be done to invoke the 'BuildIndexFile' method against the citystate.dbf file?

Another question is how do I make use of the GeoCoder plugins with my own street centerline shape file?  I already have a typical dbf file and I've invoked BuildIndexFile against it.  The column names are not the standard so I would have to change those values in the plugins.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis,

You have to undestand that the spatial index (producing idx/ids files) don't have any thing to do with geocoding. The spatial index is for using shapefiles in the Map Suite control itself for increased drawing speed and spatial queries.

If you want to use your own data with the Geocoder, it is possible but it would have to be handled as professional services and we would do the necessary customization to the Geocoder for your needs. If this is something you are interested in, let us know and we will further guide you. Thank you.