ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Geocoding gets different results with zip

Hi,

We are running into a problem with the following address:

3600 Topanga Canyon Rd, Woodland Hills, CA

Searching for this returns only a street in Malibu.  If however, we add the zip code:

3600 Topanga Canyon Rd, Woodland Hills, CA 91364

A bunch of results are returned.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

.Ryan.

Hi Ryan, 

I have debugged your street and found that the street type is wrong so that caused the problem, it should be "Blvd" rather than "Rd", if you use "3600 Topanga Canyon Blvd, Woodland Hills, CA" without zipcode, but still can get the result. 

You can use Google Map, if your street type is wrong and without zipcode, it also returns the wrong street. 

Thanks, 
 James

Typing "3600 topanga canyon blvd, woodland hills, ca" brings up only results in malibu still for me but adding the zip code brings up results in woodland hills.  This also happens on yours at maps.thinkgeo.com 

.Ryan.

Ryan, 

Yes, the result is still not correct. I think it caused by when the street name contains two parts(such as "topanga canyon") and one part is also a street type("such as canyon"), I will add this issue to our working tracking system and let you know when we fix it. 

Sorry for inconvenience. 

Thanks, 
 James

Hi James, 

Do you have an estimated time frame for this to be fixed?  If its going to take a while, I’ll have to find a different solution that will properly geocode. 

Thanks, 
 .Ryan.

Ryan, 

Usually, the bug fixed will take a week time, and then you can get the new dll from custom portal, however we are preparing the next public release recently, all source code is frozen, so probably you need to wait until May 14th. 

Thanks, 
 James

Okay, thank you for the update.

Hello Ryan, 

We have the internal system to tracking the issue status, so as soon as we fixed it, we will post the result here and let you know. 

Regards, 

Gary

Hi Gary, 

I was wondering if you had a timeline on this issue.  We are rolling out a new release early next month and were hoping to have this fixed in it. 

Thanks, 
 .Ryan.

Ryan, 

We have did some research on this issue, however, seems it’s not easy to figure out the problem, so probably we couldn’t fix it soon. Sorry for inconvenience. 

Thanks, 
 James

Hi James, 

Is there some type of workaround…  or is there at least a common situation which causes this to occur where I can tell my customers in THIS situation, you need to put in the zip code to get results? 

Thanks, 
 .Ryan.

Ryan, 

The situation is that I think it caused by when the street name contains two parts(such as “topanga canyon”) and one part is also a street type(“such as canyon”), so far doesn’t have good workaround. 

Thanks, 
 James

Hi James, 

Just to add some more data to this bug… something like 2300 Tuna Canyon Rd, Topanga, CA works just fine iff I ad the "Rd"… however this is not the case with 3600 Topanga Canyon Rd, Woodland Hills, CA 

.Ryan.

Ryan, 

I tested the "2300 Tuna Canyon Rd, Topanga, CA", but return a empty collection of GeocoderMatch, does "works just fine" mean it returns something? Have you ever change the geocoder data or extend any MatchPlugin? 

Thanks, 
 James

I get 2 results actually…  I’m using 6.0.4.0 and don’t use any of my own plugins for address geocoding…  I actually just also confirmed I get results with 6.0.19.0…  I also confirmed that it finds the address on the geocoder on your website.

Ryan,

Do you get the same results as below? I think they're not much different, they both return the county or city, but not the exact the street.

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

No, that looks nothing like what I get.I've attached the image of what I get.  I've added the rd to the end of my search because its a way for me to hack around the issue where you don't support street names ending with a suffix if the user doesn't type the suffix.  The result for the 3600 topanga canyon rd in woodland hills is a result that is for Malibu.

Hi Ryan, 

I got it, the reason you have different result for them is that, there is a street “2300 Tuna Canyon Rd, Topanga, CA”, however the street for “3600 Topanga Canyon Rd, Woodland Hills, CA” is not exact, because the street type is not “Rd”, it’s “Trail”, am I right?  

For this case, the problem is caused you don’t know the street type, the workaround is that remove “streettypeabbr.txt” file from Geocoder index folder, and also don’t add street type by yourself such as “Rd”. The side effect is that it may return more results which the same street name but different street type. 

Thanks, 
 James

Hi James, 

Even if I delete everything from my streettypeabbr.txt and remove the Rd I added myself, I still don’t get the result for 3600 Topanga Canyon Rd in Woodland Hills, only 1 in Malibu.  If I add the zip code for woodland hills, I get the result I am looking for. 

.Ryan.

I've uploaded a sample that basically geocodes the same addres, except with the zip code added as the 2nd one.  I've also been sure to include the street suffix so that isn't the issue.  I would expect these two queries to return the exact same results... or at least all the ones in woodland hills with the one without the zip potentially returning some extra results.

.Ryan.

GeocodingDemo.zip (352 KB)