ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

GeoCoding Using a Single City Shapefile

I've been attempting to get started incorporating the GeoCoder, but am not having any success.

I have a streets shape layer for just one city which I want to geocode addresses against.

I want to be able to geocode addresses of a simple house number with street name as well as intersections.  The street format is pretty standard -- address prefix street type suffix.

Also have a need to reverse geocode based on lat/Long.

Is there any code that puts this all together?  I've seen bits and pieces, but nothing that shows the basics from start to finish.

What plugin do I use and how exactly do I build that plugin for use with my shape layer?

I've seen references to column names used for prefix, type, suffix, etc, but how do I create the plugin to get those column names set to the column names in my shape layer?

In one of the forms I've seen lines like that shown below, but for me 'GeocoderHelper' is not defined.  Is this still valid?

Thanks,

Dennis

streetsColumnList.Add(

new DbfMatchingPluginColumn(ThinkGeo.MapSuite.MapSuiteGeocoder.GeocoderHelper.fromLeftColumnName, ThinkGeo.MapSuite.MapSuiteGeocoder.DbfMatchingPluginColumnType.Long, 4));

Dennis, 

You probably need to create your own MatchingPlugin, you can find the sample code in HowDoI samples which is install on you machine while install the MapSuiteGeoCoder package. There are two samples show how to do it, "Create a Text File MatchingPlugin" and "Create a Database MatchingPlugin". 

Let me know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 
 James

James,

Thanks for your response.

Does the GeoCoder have an 'Address Standardizer'?  If so would you have any sample code that makes use of it?

I had several questions in my initial post.  Would you take a look at those and offer suggestions?

Also, I am looking to GeoCode from an existing standard Shape File, part of which is the associated dbf file.  I don't want to be creating any dbf files as I already have a dbf file that contains the addresses that I want to GeoCode.  Can you show me with concrete examples how to do that?

Regards,

Dennis

Dennis, 

Yes, Geocoder have an ‘Address Standardizer’, for example “5300 N Winthrop Ave Chicago IL 60640”, it stand for house number, street direction, street name, street type, city, state and zipcode. There are many sample codes in our HowDoI sample, you can download our free trail evaluation version and try it. 

The .dbf index file in Geocoder is different from .dbf in shape files, it works in different ways, if you want to use shape file dbf file as index, you need to create your own MatchingPlugin as I mentioned before, you can find the sample code in HowDoI samples. 

For your question above, I think you don’t need to create DbfMatchingPluginColumnType, if you want to , the first parameter of constructor is just column name which you want to specific, you don’t need to use GeocoderHelper. 

For more information you can look at our Geocoder Wiki: wiki.thinkgeo.com/wiki/Map_Suite_Geocoder 

I think all your questions can be found in WIKI, if you have more question please feel free to let us know. 

Thanks, 
 James