ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

GIS Editor Simplification causing shapes to disappear

We are looking at your GIS Editor for some processing we do with shapefiles for our application.

We took the original shapefiles we received from our vendor and Simplified them to 100 meters, selecting to Preserve Topology.   When we do that, it seems that a lot of shapes just disappear.  See the attached image.  Trying to figure out if there are any additional settings to adjust to prevent shapes from disappearing when simplifying.  

Hi Janet,

Thanks for evaluating our product and welcome to Map Sute dicussion forum. Hope you can have a good journey here.

Could you check if you enabled the option "Limit the number of features drawn to ...", which will ingore drawing some features in feature densely area. The configuration panel can be open following the step: "file-->options-->Content", following is the screenshot about it:

Please uncheck the highlighted item in "content" panel. If it doesn't work, can you show more details on your operation here?

Thanks,

Johnny 

That option was already unchecked, so I don't think that's it.

I'm not sure what additional information you would need, so maybe you can let me know.  

We loaded a shapefile of all the zipcodes in the US as an area style layer.  We clicked the Simplify button, set the simplification tolerance to 100 meters, set the simplification method to Preserve Toplogy and then ran the simplification.  The results can be seen in the original image I attached - after the simplification, a lot of zipcode shapes seem to have dropped out.  

Janet,

Thank you for reporting this issue, we have confirmed that is is a bug in the GIS Editor and have fixed it with the latest developer build.

To check out the bug fix all you need to do is change your update channel to the Developer Channel and you will be prompted to update and receive the bug fix.    To do this click on the Main Menu, Choose Options, then choose update channel on the left and change the radio button like the screen shot below:

Please let us know if you have any questions or run into any more issues.

Thanks!

Clint