ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

How to Geocode the entire USA?

In the examples all I see is loading a file for Chicago Addresses.  We need to be able to Geocode the entire USA.  How is that done?

bob

Hi Bob,

Only purchased users could get the entire data of USA, please contact sales@thinkgeo.com if you want to. And here is a sample which included the USA data, maps.thinkgeo.com/web/.

Thanks,

Edgar

I am using the desktop version of Map Suite, and need to look at code examples of how to access this data, can you please provide those?  If this works, we'll move forward with purchasing the tool.  BTW, the same question also goes for Routing.  How can I get an example of using routing for the entire USA?

bob

The only difference between evaluation and full of the GeoCoder is the data, so that means you can use the same API and the same sample from the evaluation version and just change the data’s destination. 

You can Routing for the USA if you have the roads data of it, there is no data limitation between the evaluation and the full edition. But we suggest you not to Routing the huge size of data because the performance will be bad. 

Regards, 

Edgar

We don't use shape files, and don't plan on using them in the future...we only want to use SQL Data.  So my question is...the demo uses a ShapefileLayer to create the layer for the streets of Chicago.  I was under the impression you have all the data (source Tiger files??).

So what would be the call to setup our SQL database as the Data for the system to query for geocoding the addresses?

bob

We don’t use shape files for GeoCoding, but use dbf, index files (idx/ids) and some txt files. Here is a screenshot of the full version’s data folder, please have a look. The data is optimized and indexed so it provides a good performance. We are using TIGER data for all US streets and that’s why you see the corresponding file (streets.dbf) is pretty large.

So instead of using files you want to use SQL Database for Geocoding? We don’t have plans for it now and if you want to geocode with your own data in Sql Server, you can write a custom plugin to support it.  Let us know more if you need any help.

Regards,

Edgar