ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

I have doubt on Open Street Map vs Google map?

Hi Team,

I have doubt Open Street Map vs Google map?

Google map show house like Box, please refer my screen shot.

ThinkGeo Show Only Street and Parks, Please refer my Screen shot.

If possible need show like Google Map?

Regards,
Tamilarasan.

Hi Tamilarasan,

The Open Street Map style is defined by OpenStreetMap, you can refer https://www.openstreetmap.org. We cannot change that.

You can consider to Bing/Google map as background if you think it is good for you.

And we will have one new WMK layer in MapSuite 11, it will host the map style like this https://maps.thinkgeo.com, and map data is come from OpenStreetMap.

Please keep eyes on our products.

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark ,

Thanks for your update!.

We have licensed 10.0 , if possible to update WMK 11?

Regrads,
Tamilarasan.

Hi Tamilarasan,

Please don’t worry about the license, I think it will keep currently one. Even we modify the license strategy you can easily transform your license for version 11.

Regards,

Ethan

Hi Ethan,

How we update ? We need to download latest OpenStreetMap data ?

Regards,
Tamilarasan.

Hi Tamilarasan,

I viewed your initial question, it looks you want to render the house like Google with OpenStreetMap, does it right?

That’s decided by the data source, for example, if the OSM provided house data, then we can render it on map. So you can view the area in our https://maps.thinkgeo.com/ mentioned by Mark. That’s our coming new render style.

If you found the house shape in target area of it, that means this will be supported in coming version.

If you still found the house hadn’t been rendered on it, that means the OSM data don’t support it.

And you can choose Google or Bing as your background layer if necessary.

Regards,

Ethan

Hi Ethan,

I understand , whatever i have OSM data not rendering house .

So we go for latest OSM data or else ?.

Note: we need the feature in Winform.

Regards,
Tamilarasan.

Hi Tamilarasan,

Maybe you misunderstand my reply. I means if the OSM static tiles contains house data, it will be rendered on map. Because your currently base map is use the tile images, that cannot be changed by us.

But our future version may used the vector tiles, which is not the same source from image tile. If that OSM source contains the house, it also be supported by us. That’s why I suggest you view our online map to see whether it contains or not in your area.

And you still have solution for it, that’s find the house data, then render them as a standalone layer should also works, you just need to render them in correct zoomlevel.

Regards,

Ethan

Hi Ethan,

We dont have other source to render House data.

We need to know WinformsMap with offline data it will show or not?

If show how it will enable?

Thanks,
Tamilarasan.

Hi Tamilarasan,

It looks you misunderstand this problem, the winforms map is a map control:

a. It can render the offline data, which is provided by the user
b. It can render the online base map or other online data for example WMS etc. It’s provided by the 3rd part service

That means the map don’t contains data itself. Your target is shows the house border on OpenStreetMap base map.

The solution is:
a. You have the offline house border data, then you can render it above the base layer
b. The 3rd part online data contains house border

In this case, it looks the OpenStreetMap library tile image don’t have house border. That means if you have to render hte house border, you should want to choose Google map as base map instead of OpenStreetMap.

Wish that’s helpful.

Regards,

Ethan

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for reply,

Our application will work without internet some places.

So i won’t go for third party , Is have any other option to enable house data in OSM ?

Regards,
Tamilarasan.

Hi amilarasan,

Based on our research, it looks house data is not supported in current version OSM.

If OSM update their data, this maybe get supported in future version.

Regards,

Ethan