ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Intersections and Zip/City matches

I have a couple fairly simple questions.  I noticed there's a thread saying that geocoding intersections is in the works and was just wondering if this is still the case(since it's a bit dated now, going back to Nov 2010).

I also have a question about the "ZipMatchResult" and "CityMatchResult."  I've noticed that they don't have a latitude or longitude in their dictionaries and was wondering if it's possible to synthesize a relatively close guess of a latitude and longitude based on something like a city name + state, or zipcode.  

Just for a bit of background, the places I'm geocoding are entered by a user, and it's possible for them to mistype or not know the street address, so if I'm able to place a marker on the map that is somewhat close(like the center of the city/zipcode), that would be better than doing nothing or throwing an error their way.

Rhunex, 

Thanks for your post, I answered your questions one by one below: 

1, The geocode intersection functionality is in our plan, but we don’t have the definite time to finish it, maybe the next public release. Currently, the most important thing is split the new index geocode data, we built an new index data that includes more records for each street and the size is very large so we have to split it to suit the FAT32 disk. 

2, About the “ZipMatchResult” and “CityMatchResult”, actually, they have the latitude and longitude values, in the match result, you can see there is a key that names CentroidPoint, this is the actual latitude and longitude  values for zip or city. 

3, Yes, we can return the closest result for the street addresses if the user mistype or not know the exact street addresses, when you create the UsaGeocode object, please use the following constructor: 

usaGeocoder = new UsaGeocoder(dataPath, StreetNumberMatchingMode.ClosestMatch); 

That means when we search the input street addresses, we always search the closest street addresses frrom the input street address according to the street number.  

Hope my answers can help you, any more questions please let me know again, 

Thanks, 

Scott,

Thanks for the answers that's exactly what I needed.  I had forgotten the coordinates were in the CentroidPoint(been dealing a lot of the Geocoder and not so much with other Map Suite components)

Rhunex, 

That’s great! If you have any more questions please let us know again, 

Thanks, 

Scott,

Hi Scott, 
 Just wondering if geocoding intersections is available yet, and if not, if you have a timeline as to when it may be (if you know it, if not no big deal). 

.Ryan.

Hello Ryan, 

Thank you for your post, sorry we didn’t have a plan to do it in this version. It maybe resolve in next version release. 

Regards, 

Gary

Hi, 

Any plans to add geocoding of intersections yet? 

Thanks, 
 .Ryan.

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your post,  we don't have any plan about GeoCoder interaction for now.

You can vote this enhancement to helpdesk.thinkgeo.com/EnhancementTracker. This captures the enhancement request and provides visibility to the customer letting them know that the enhancement is on a list somewhere and that popularity of the enhancement helps set the priority of when the enhancement would be added to the product. This option doesn't carry any cost for you.

Or if you need this function immediately, your account rep can contact you for a professional services.

Regards,

Gary