ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Merging csv data

Hi,

I’m trying to merge an csv data file, which contains a list of cities, with a shapefile of simpleplaces. However, I have cities which are not included in the shapefile so I end up with missing data when I map my data.

Is there any way I can make sure that all my data is extracted?

Many thanks,

Shaun

Hi Shaun, 

I think the DataJoin tool is work for append columns to existing shapes, so the change will be used to dbf file but not shp file, if your csv contains some data for the shapes which are not contained by your shapefile, I think you cannot see them on map. 

Regards, 

Don

Hi Don, 

Thanks for your reply. 

So is there any way I can make sure all my data on the csv file is shown on the map? 

Thanks 
 Shaun

Hi Shaun,  

Do you think this function will works for you? 

1. Add a column like "linenumber" and set value to your csv file. 
 2. Merge data. 
 3. Render the merged shape file and show "linenunmber" as label. 

I think follow this way you can see whether you miss some lines. 

Regards, 

Don

Hi Don, 

I tried adding line number but information is still missing on the map. The problem is that I have cities in my file that is not listed in the shapefile data. So my map does not have a label for that city. 

Is there any way I can add the cities to the shapefile in order to match them? 

Thanks 
 Shaun

Hi Shaun, 

If you want to edit the shapefile, you have to know the coordinates of cites. 

After that: 

1. You can implement that by GisEditor, you need to manual add cities points in layer. 

2. You can also implement that by code, you should want to use our ShapeFileFeatureLayer to edit current shape file. 

3. you can use 3rd part utility for edit your shape file. 

Regards, 

Don

Hi Don, 

Is there, perhaps, another map I can use which is more detailed and includes all cities? I’m currently using the populated_places_simple map and the Open Street Map.  

Thanks 
 Shaun

Shaun, 

Does your CSV file have the X and Y coordinates in it?  If so you can just load that up as a Delimited File Layer and then export it as a shapefile in the GIS Editor. 

Thanks!

Hi Clint, 

My CSV has 3 columns:City, Number of Clients, Name (of country). Which should be the X and Y coordinates?  

Thanks 
 Shaun

Hi Clint, 

My CSV has 3 columns:City, Number of Clients, Name (of country). Which should be the X and Y coordinates?  

Thanks 
 Shaun

Hi Shaun, 

From column name, I think all the 3 columns aren’t coordinates. The X and Y coordinates should be a pair of numbers. It should looks like: 62.86, -13.22 etc. 

But for make sure that, could you please paste a row of your data here? 

Regards, 

Don

Hi Don, 

I’ve pasted a row of my data below. 

City Number of clients Name 
 Milan 1                 Italy 
 Rome    2                       Italy 

What I need to do is map the dispersion of clients on the Italy map. However, if the populated places simple map does not contain, for example, data on Rome, then the map will not have a pointer on Rome.  

Thanks 
 Shaun 

Hi Shaun, 

Yes, your data source don’t contains position data. 

I have understood your scenario. Just like what we said, because your location data don’t contains target cities, so the city name and related information won’t be shown on map. 

The solution still is modify your data to add corresponding cities. 

I think GisEditor can edit your shape file to add the cities. 

Regards, 

Don