ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

MicrosoftVisualCRunTime100 -- Providing an exe Install

MapSuite Team,

I’m upgrading to MapSuite V10.5.x and once again faced with updating the DLL’s in System32 & SysWow64.

Updating these files on hundreds of workstations is truly a pain to say the least.

Can you please provide an exe install for MicrosoftVisualCRunTime100 & Microsoft SqlServer Types? Using an msm install is very cumbersome.

Another issue with updating these DLL’s is that they are in-use by applications, which makes updating problematic.

Are there plans to move away from these as a MapSuite dependency?

Regards,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I think you can download the installer here: http://wiki.thinkgeo.com/wiki/_media/mapsuite10/mapsuiteruntimedependencies.zip

It’s in our wiki page: https://wiki.thinkgeo.com/wiki/map_suite_runtime_license_guide_for_desktop

And if you want to custom modify it, you can build a simple exe file with merge module, and then run it in all of your machines.

About the issue when updating dlls, they are in-use by applications, I think we cannot avoid it, because we don’t know what’s application is using them and our installer cannot do anything for other application. So you can just check that manual and kill the process, then update dlls again.

And here are the packages for the merge module:

Regards,

Ethan

Ethan,

You state…

“And if you want to custom modify it, you can build a simple exe file with merge module, and then run it in all of your machines.”

How is this accomplished? Do you have a sample?

I don’t understand why these need to be repackaged. Does ThinkGeo have different versions than what Microsoft provides?

It’s not easy to have to install these on 400 workstations.

Regards,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

If I misunderstand your question here please let me know.

Because you mentioned you have new merge module but update the dlls it not easy, so you want to get an installer for that. So I think you can build an installer project, just need to reference the merge modules and you can build an installer which contains the merge modules you need. Then you can run the installer in your server, just like you did in your product installer, it just be a very simple one.

And if you don’t need that you can download the http://wiki.thinkgeo.com/wiki/_media/mapsuite10/mapsuiteruntimedependencies.zip, it’s also be an installer, you can directly run it.

I checked with our developer about it again, in our wiki page, the merge module hadn’t been updated to the latest version, but the link I listed for mapsuiteruntimedependencies.zip is the latest one. The included dll get changed, we added some dlls into it because some machine missed them and will met exception in certain scenario.

If update them is hard for so many server, I think you can did a test in one of your server to see whether update is necessary for your project.

In fact I don’t have a good suggestion about how to quickly update in so many machine, but I think you should have the requriement to update other package version in these machine, maybe you can update the system dlls when you data other packages the next time.

Regards,

Ethan

Ethan,

Thanks for the zip file, which contains the msi of the dependencies.

Is ThinkGeo making any attempt to move away from the dependency of these files?

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Our new ThinkGeo Map get big changes, but I am not sure whether the dependency of the system dlls will be removed in the new version.

In fact for our products, we don’t like the dependency relationship. If possible we will try to remove them or reduce the referenced system dlls.

Regards,

Ethan

hi Ethan,

It’s nice to hear that you also don’t like the dependency relationship.

I will look forward to your new ThinkGeo Map.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Any question please let us know.

Regards,

Ethan