ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

More than just Austin, TX

I'm trying to learn the Routing Extension, specifically we need to test the traveling saleman problem, i.e., best route, etc.  The sample only shows streets in Austin TX, so how can I apply this to a real-life test of our data (for say New Jersey)?

Thanks.

Hello Bob, 

Thanks for your post, you can refer HowDoISamples—>BuildingRoutingData and BuildingRoutingDataEvent to build your own routing data with ShapeFile New Jersey and more place. 

Let us know if you meet problem on this. 

Regards, 

Gary

Can you guide me on accessing the OpenStreetMap Data for the entire USA? 

bob

Hello Bob, 

Sorry I’m confused here, what do you mean accessing? Just display the OpenStreetMap data in the Map control or you want to do something special? Sorry because you just mentioned them in a routing post, so I’m afraid I misunderstanding something. 

Regards, 

Gary

I’m sorry if my question wasn’t clear.  Yes, I think I’m in the right place.  I want to display a Map on the Desktop Version, and perform routing.  I am currently using the WorldMapKitWmsDesktop overlay which displays all the streets, etc.  So I am confused why I need OpenStreetMap data in order to Route.  Why can’t the data in the WorldMapKit work? 

I need routing capability for the entire USA as our user base is all over the place, now with that said, each of them will probably only route in their general area, but we want one code base/database for all routing. 

bob

Hello Bob, 

“Why can’t the data in the WorldMapKit work” what does this mean? The OpenStreetMap using totally different data with WorldMapKit, I don’t understand what do you want. 

If you want to make the OpenStreetMap work and routing with it, it’s not complex, you can refer : 

wiki.thinkgeo.com/wiki/Map_Suite_OpenStreetMap_Data_Guide 

Know how many data the OpenStreetMap have and how to get it from our server, then use ShapeFileFeatureSource to build the routing file for each OpenStreetMap data, after that, you can refer routing HowDoISample, it’s totally the same now, you have the shape file, you have the routing file, you just make the simple route. 

If you want to use OpenStreetMapOverlay directly make the routing, sorry like I replied in your another post, it’s impossible. 

Feel free to let us know your queries. 

Regards, 

Gary