ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Possible to connect crossing roads?

Hi is it possible to force the routing to use crossing roads?

(using osmdata.thinkgeo.com/openstreetmap-data/europe/ denmark roads)

Sample see screenshot.

I'm routing cable lines, and it would be nice if the route was the blue line.

But the highway is not connected to the localroad in the file, but I need to use any road to get shortest distance.

- Niels

Hello Niels, 

When you say "But the highway is not connected to the localroad in the file" I think you mean there is no adjacent rout segment between high way and local road, right? 

If so, you can refer the HowDoISamples—>Edit Routing Index File and connect them and save to the rtg file. 

Let me know if I misunderstanding something. 

Regards, 

Gary

Hi Gary, I’m hoping there is another way to solve this problem.  
 Since connecting all roads in the gui, would take me forever, for all roads in Denmark :) 

I was hoping for a solution to take all roads, railroads etc and have the routing engine look at the “roads” as one big connected network where all lines are connected. 
 I’m not going to use it for driving instructions, but to find shortest distance to dig down fibre cables. 

- Niels

Niels, 

This is possible however you would need to build an RTG file that takes all of this into account.  It would be a multi step process to manipulate the data so the routing file would be correct.   

1. You need to merge all of your line based files into one shapefile.  You can do this a number of ways using third party tools or our API. 

2. You need to write some small utility to create intersection points anywhere two lines overlap each other.  You would loop through all of the lines in the shape file and inside the loop do a spatial query of other features bounding boxes that intersect the target line’s bounding box.  This is a possible candidate.  Next you want to do an intersection on the two lines and see what comes out.  If it is a collection of points then you need to add those points to the source and target shape and save them back to the shape file.  In this way you will connect the various networks.   

3. Build the RTG index as you normally would on the modified shape file with all the line networks added in. 

David

Exelent I’ll give the api a try. 

Niels, 

I think I can help you with this problem. We solved a very similar problem for  Nicaragua.  email me and I will send you a more detailed description of the steps you need to take. 

Al Vigil 
 albert.vigil at gmail dot com

Hello, 

Thanks for Al’s help and sharing the experience, and Niels just let us know and help you if you have any more questions. 

Regards, 

Gary