ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Quick Start Guide woes

I'm just trying to get the Quick Start Guide example running and not having much luck.  This is the 5.0 evaluation edition in a Silverlight 4 Application under VS 2010.  I've tried both the 3.5 and 4.0 Frameworks.  No matter what, running the application results in an unhandled code 4004 ManagedRuntimeError -> TargetInvocationException that wants to spawn a new VS instance for debugging.

I would assume this is because I have no SiverlightMapConnector present, but the application fails even if I do nothing more than simply place the map onto the page without even adding any code to provide map data (it fails with and without this code).  Why do I have no SilverlightMapConnector?  That's the other problem.  I have supposedly added it to the designer toolbox (it shows up checked via the Choose Items), but the control itself never appears in the toolbox.  I've tried restarting and removing/readding the control and it refuses to appear anywhere in the toolbox.

Any suggestions?  Surely somebody has run into this problem before.

Hello Brad, 

Thanks for your post, did you try to set a aspx page as start page and set your web project as startup project? 

Regards, 

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the one page and project were set for startup by default.  The app runs fine until you simply drop the map control onto the page. Then it gets far enough for the app to appear and immediately crash.  Am I wrong in assuming this should still run?  This is nothing more than a default Silverlight Navigation Application with the map thrown on.  I also tried a plain old Silverlight Application with the map.  Both run until you add the map.

I still also have the problem of the SilverlightMapConnector not appearing in the designer toolbox even though it's been added via Choose Items.  It's my understanding, however, that the application should at least run with a dumb, empty map control even in the absence of the SilverlightMapConnector.

Dear Brad, 

If you failed to added the SilverlightMapConnector, could you please check if the Silverlight SDK is right? 

Regards, 

Gary

Hi Gary,

I'm using the Silverlight Developer Runtime, Silverlight 4 SDK, and Silverlight Toolkit.  I am able to create and run any app I want as long as it does not have a map present.

The only wild card I can think of is I have the DevExpress control suite installed and perhaps those controls are somehow interfering with the SilverlightMapConnector in the toolbox.  It's a long shot, but it's the only thing that would likely be significantly different from your average machine.  I guess I'll try uninstalling DevExpress and see what happens.  If that is the issue then we'll have a stalemate since we are already heavily invested in using their controls.

I forgot to ask, can anyone confirm that an app should run with the map control simply present (but no map-related code added) without a SilverlightMapConnector present?  I'm trying to determine if I have one problem (map doesn't work because I can't get the map connector to install) or two problems (simple map presence makes app crash AND I can't get the map connector to install).

So after stepping away and clearing my head I just manually added the SilverlightMapConnector to the code rather than trying to rely on dragging it from the toolbox.  I still don't know why it won't appear in the toolbox, but who cares because it's not like I'm dropping SilverlightMapConnectors around like buttons and labels (Pimp Daddy B's gonna make it RAAAAIN).  I was really tired and suffering from constant distractions the last couple of days, but it's all much, much clearer now.  Most of the problem existed in the seat-to-keyboard interface.

Hello Brad, 

I’m really appreciate your information. I think the key of resolve this problem is around why the SilverlightMapConnectors can’t work. 

Could you please check if you reference the System.Web. Silverlight dll? 

Regards, 

Gary 

Gary,

Yes, I am referencing System.Web.Silverlight.

Brad, 

I think we need you provide your sample now. this problem is weird, we can have a test on your sample then find out what’s wrong with it. 

Regards, 

Gary

I am facing the same problem, i did not succed in starting any of your samples even for shapfiles i dont know what is the problem please help

Hello wael, 

Could you please try to visit websamples.thinkgeo.com

If you can see the map, I think I will need you provide some more information about your machine. 

If not, please provide some picture of the error page. 

Regards, 

Gary