ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Shape File Definition

Hi All,

Just wondering if there's a primer for what exactly each shape file includes/represents, as I can't seem to find one. I understand that some of the US data comes from TIGER, and I've seen the naming scheme for them (though, I'm still confused as to what the different road files under each state include). Some of the files are pretty obvious, but others are not. For instance, what is the difference between all of the files for the 'HighwayNetwork' or UsHigh?

Thanks for everything!

-Dustin

Dustin, 

Thank you for your post. 

I’m sorry I don’t understand what’s your mean exactly. Did you want to know what is in .shp, what’s in .shx, what’s in. dbf  and .idx ids? 

Regards, 

Gary

Hi Gary, 

Not nessecarily what's in the individual files per extension, just what the features can be classified as. For instance, the files 'highwaynetwork2_1b' and 'highwaynetwork2_2' are both included, but there's no indication of what the difference is. Is it the length of the highway, or some other classification, or is it just an arbitrary set of highways? Something like that. 

-Dustin

Dustin, 

Thank you for your feedback, I didn’t find the file named ‘highwaynetwork2_1b’ or ‘highwaynetwork2_2’, where did you get it? If it’s not our data, I’m afraid you need visit the place where you get the data and find some documentation. 

Regards, 

Gary

Hi Gary, 

Yes, it is your data. I just received my copy of World Map Kit 5.0 today, and it was in that. It was in the USA folder.

-Dustin

Dustin, 

Sorry for delay. Yes there are some rules in those file’s name, it’s complex to say them all here, you can check the WorldMapKitRenderLayer.cs, RenderLabelLayer method to find out the relationship, if you meet any problem or have questions about any files, please tell me, I can explain to you. 

Regards, 

Gary