ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Streets without suffixs

Hi,

We've run into an issue where geocoding addresses is inconsistent if you don't include a suffix of the street.  For most streets, everything works fine, but we are running into an issue with something like 2300 Tuna Canyon Rd, Topanga, CA, where if our users only search for 2300 Tuna Canyon, our result doesn't show up, only one for like a Tuna Road.  I understand why this happens (the system is treating canyon as the suffix), but I think the system should ALSO search for roads that have the "suffix" in the name, especially for suffixs that are common like Canyon.  If we type in Tuna Canyon Rd, everything works as expected.

I don't know if this is something you can add to geocoding, or if you have a workaround that will work (I thought about just appending rd to my street name, but I'm unsure if that will affect other things)

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

.Ryan.

Ryan, 

I think your guess is probably right, Canyon is a street type which has abbr is CYN, if you  think your street type won’t be CYN or Canyon, you can use workaround below, you can remove the line “CANYON,CYN” from streettypeabbr.txt, it will return the correct result you can try. 

Thanks, 
 James

Hi James, 

This will work for the case of canyon…  but it is really not a solution that will generically work for a street name that legitimately has a word that could be a suffix as part of its name… in this case, the geocoder will always be broken, not returning the result I am looking for.  I need a solution or work around that will provide the correct results for any case where this occurs. 

Thanks, 
 .Ryan.

Ryan, 

I don't have good solution for it so far, but if you want to work for all case, you can remove all items in streettypeabbr.txt. This file only use for the case when there are many streets which have the same street name but different type, such as 1st road, 1st street, 1st ave etc. however you don't want to input the type name, it will return all streets which different type name.

Thanks, 

James