ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Supporting Xamarin Starter/Visual Studio Community Editions?

Hi,

I’m just brushing up on the platform requirements for building iOS mapping apps using ThinkGeo.

As I understand it, you’re not quite ready to support the Xamarin Unified API. But what about the free versions of Xamarin and VS (2013 and 2015) ?

I found this article from November 2014 on the subject of using the free Xamarin Starter Edition with the also free Visual Studio Community Edition.

But do the ThinkGeo mapping assemblies support this free Xamarin/Microsoft setup, or do they (still?) require Xamarin Business Edition and/or Visual Studio Professional ?

Cheers.

Lars I Nielsen

Hi Lars,

A good news is that, we already transferred our iOSEdition to the Unified API few weeks ago, and successfully submitted our first 64bit iOS project to the app store. So it will be very close to make it release (I think it should be ready around the first week of March). We planed to have two assemblies then. One to maintain the old one, while another one for the Unified API. The new APIs is a little different. For example, we used Frame property on UIView a lot. It is used to be RectangleF; while in the Unified API, it becomes CGRect. So we might need to review all our existing samples and GettingStart guide and make sure all works fine with it.

For the Xamarin starter plan, I think we might not support it right now. Because Xamarin limits the size of the compiled user code (IL) to 64k (It is double size now. It is used to be 32k). xamarin.com/faq#q18 

And our dll is far more than that limit. It is not easy to make the assembly smaller. I will talk to our manager later and see if there is a chance to split the functionality and make the assemblies smaller or build a simplified version.

We didn’t test it using the VS Community, I think it should support the Xamarin plugin for Vistual Stuido. We will test it later and let you know.

Thanks,
Howard