ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

ThinkGeo Returns Invalid Zips when Reverse Geocoding

I am reverse geocoding census blocks and I noticed that I was getting invalid zip codes.  I have 49 zips returned equating to almost 500K people that are tied to an invalid zip code.  I double checked by going to usps.com and validated that these were no longer valid zip codes.  If you look at 85218 for example, it is now 85118.  Is there a new set of files that we should be using to ensure we are getting the most up to date address information?  We just purchased the product about a month ago.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi Kiffany, 

Thanks for let us know that, it looks we have some data files need to be updated. 

But it need takes some days, because after update data, we have to do some test and related logic enhancement. 

Any update we will let you know in this topic. 

Regards, 

Don

Thanks for the quick reply and news of getting this updated.  I will be looking for the update.  Thanks again!

Kiffany,

Thanks for the waiting and founding, but I am afraid this issue is not easy as we thought before. After dig into it, it tied to Census Tiger data which our geocoder original data is from, even in the latest tiger data, there are some invalid zip codes (about 400 records in all 34000) which Census doesn’t update them yet, we will try to contact their development team for verification.

Currently, I think here are two options, one is we made an adjust list file on mapping the invalid and valid zip codes pair, then in the geocoder match results, once the zip code is not valid, then we replace it with a right one. The other one is we rebuild the whole geocoder dataset and during the build, we adjust the invalid zipcodes, but I guess rebuilting the whole data will take about one month in all. 

So, if it is urgent for you, take the option one is a good idea or you can wait till we rebuilt the new dataset. I’ve attached all the invalid zip codes if you want to have a look. I have no idea when we will finish the mapping list, but we will do our best.

Thanks,

Troy

invalidZip.txt (2.88 KB)

Hi Kiffany, 

Sorry for the waiting.  

We have updated our whole geocoder dataset to fix the invalid zip issue and you can ask our sales for the latest data. We also got the feedback from Census and they mentioned they will process on it but still need more time as it is related to many stuffs. Currently, we are using an alternative way to get around it till they fix it completely. 

Thanks for the founding. 

Troy 

1 Like