ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

UTM to WGS84 projection tilt

Hello everyone,

While projecting from UTM to WGS84, I noticed that the results are slightly tilted clockwise. This seems to be normal as I managed to reproduce it with some GIS software.

From what I read, there could be solutions to this with some additional parameters to the transformation (translation, rotation and scaling) 

Is there any way to fix the tilt in ThinkGeo?

Thanks

Hi Marius,  

Thanks for your question! 

You are welcome to modify any of the ProjectionParameters you setup for your Proj4 projection object. In fact you can even pass in the raw Proj4 string into the Internal/ExternalProjectionParameters if you need to make any modifications. Additionally you might look into reading the .prj files and converting their content using the ConvertPrjToProj4() method. This way you can read the exact .prj for your shapefile and get the resulting Proj4 to pass into your projection. 

One reference I use to help narrow down ProjectionParameter issues is spatialreference.org. You might check them out as sometimes their are different versions of certain projections. 

For the sake of conversion I would question where or not the ‘tilt’ needs to be ‘fixed’? If you are reprojecting the data to be in WGS84, do you not want it to truly be WGS84? Arguably if you have additional map data it would not too difficult to apply your custom projection to it, but this is an additional step and could be a bit confusing to debug if you don’t apply the custom projection universally.

Thank Ryan to pointing out that the tilt is correct. I have researched some more and the shapes are aligned to polar north and not grid north ... I believe this is the explanation.

Do you happen to know what should be done so that the shapes are aligned with grid north and not polar north?  

Thanks

Hi Marius,

If I guess it is correct, you would like to display the data under WGS84, but some shapes are depending on polar north.

Myabe you can try this way: Init your shapes with the spherical Mercator projection and then translate those to WGS84 with the help of ManagedProj4Projection, code looks like below.
            Proj4Projection proj4 = new Proj4Projection();
            proj4.InternalProjectionParametersString = ManagedProj4Projection.GetSphericalMercatorParametersString();
            proj4.ExternalProjectionParametersString = ManagedProj4Projection.GetDecimalDegreesParametersString();

RectangleShape rectangle = new RectangleShape(-19268509.29874, 13535292.38285, 20656089.34576, -14435365.7673);
            RectangleShape proj4Rectangle = proj4.ConvertToExternalProjection(rectangle);

Thanks,
Johnny