ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

WorldMapKit and OpenStreetMap

Can someone help me with my confusion?  Doesn't the WorldMapKitWmsDesktopOverlay display roads?  And so why can't it be the data source for routing?

Thanks.  bob

Hello Bob, 

The WorldMapKitWmsDesktopOverlay is a overlay that we packaged for display the WorldMapKit data from our wms server easily, so it can display roads as if the WorldMapKit data have roads information in that area. 

And because it get the map tile from our wms server, so you can make the data routable, it can’t be the data source for routing, but there are two CDS we have sent to you with the product, it contains the WorldMapKit data as the shape file format, you can use that data for routing purpose. 

Let us know your queries. 

Regards, 

Gary

I still don’t completely understand why they aren’t compatible, but here goes the next question.  We are storing all GIS data in SQL Server 2008.  We can upload all of the shapefiles for each state into that database, and hopefully figure a way to query it as needed, but we don’t want to ship all of this data to all of our users, so we want to setup a server that can receive the Waypoints, and start and finish, and then the server will calculate the route and then return that information to the user’s PC (over the Internet). 

Can you give me some understanding how this can be done?  i.e., can a layer (route layer) be serialized and deserialzed? Our development platform is Visual Studio 2010 (C#) 

If not, we’ll have to look at another solution for routing.  :( 

bob

Hello Bob, 

Here is the difference, when you using your develop machine make the routing, but you are visit the data source from our WMS server, and we do not provide any routing service on our wms server, so there is no way you can make it work. 

But after you publish your application, your client will visit the interface you provide and anything they do is request to your server, in this time, your server will request the datasource in your local machine(maybe the same machine with your publish server, maybe in same lan), so it can be work, that’s why we give the data to you and you can deal with it. 

The key part is your client never do any calculate or routing in their side, they just simply request the result from your server. 

I hope this is clear, if not, feel free to let us know. 

And for “can a layer (route layer) be serialized and deserialzed”, the answer is yes, we have serialized in our code community. 

Regards, 

Gary

Hello Bob, 

Just noticed your another post, you mentioned you want to make it work with desktop edition? If so, I think my answer is not fully right, because I thought you are using the routing with web edition. 

Let me know. 

Regards, 

Gary

The real question is can a route layer be serialized?  Our main map app is planned for a desktop (windows forms) audience, but that wouldn’t prevent us from making a call from within that app to our web server for data, so if the server builds the route (because it has all of the shapefiles, etc.) and then serializes the route and returns a serialization of the route layer to the client…that’s what I’m really asking, can a route layer be serialized and deserialized?

Do you have a link to any examples? I just tried searching this forum for "serialize route" but got no hits. 

bob

Hi Bob,

You can get the latest build 6.0.128.0 or 6.0.0.128 and try the following code.

GeoSerializer serializer = new GeoSerializer();
serializer.Serialize(routingLayer, "d:\\result.xml");

Hope it helps,

Edgar