ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Aggregation of polygons

Hi,

we want to aggregate / dissolve polygons. Tests show that .Union() is awfully slow (two polygons succeed, but aggregating german counties didn’t return after an hour). Newer versions of NetTopologySuite which is also used by MapSuite in the background have more efficient algorithms for unioning many polygons at once, not just adding one at a time.
Therefore my question: are there any plans to switch to a newer version of NetTopologySuite in the near future? Another reason why I’m asking is that otherwise we would have to call NetTopologySuite directly and thus would have to deal with two versions of the same library.

Regards,
Markus

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the feedback, I got the news from our manager and confirmed that we’ll use the newer version of NTS in the upcoming MapSuite 10.0 which will be published about at the beginning of Oct.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

that’s good news, even if we will release our software before October already.
Would also be nice if the faster NTS algorithm would then be available on the MapSuite API in any form.

Regards,
Markus

Hi Markus,

I know the new NTS should includes some fixed bugs, but I don’t know if it includes the issue about the performance. It will be available on the MapSuite API like currently, if it includes these improvements.

Thanks,
Peter