ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

PointStyle + RotationAngle?

Hi,

Simple question: what unit and direction do the RotationAngle member of the PointStyle class use ?

I assume radian in a mathematical system (from X-east toward Y-north), but would like it confirmed.

The documentation just says: "This property gets the angle of rotation for the drawing of the point.".

TIA

Lars,

The RotationAngle property is in degree and goes counter clockwise from 0 being North. So, this means that if you have PointStyle and you want to tilt it to the NW, you would set it to 45. See below the examples:

45: NW

90: W

135: SW

180: S

225: SE

270: E

315: NE

Also, you can find many examples on how to use this property in the samples of the Code Community under the "Vehicle Tracking" category. wiki.thinkgeo.com/wiki/Map_Suite_We...ng_Samples

For converting radian to degree, the formula is: Radian * (180d / Pi)

Hi Val, 

Ok, degrees it is. But it looks like it _is_ a mathematical system (i.e. east=0, north=90), not like what you describe. You may want to verify this. 

I’d also like to suggest that you add this snippet of information to the manual to avoid confusion in the future. 

Cheers. 

Lars,

What I mean is that if you have an image of a North facing arrow, you will get the cardinal directions as I described. See the image below for some visual demonstration. Thank you for your suggestion on improving our documentation. We know we still have a lot of work to do and we are working on it.