ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Slow Pan/Zoom/Refresh on bigger monitors

I noticed that the bigger I have the window hosting the map control (which increases in size the bigger the monitor is), the slower the map refreshes. Is there any way to increase performance?

My map generally contains several shapefile layers, personalgeodatabase layers, and inmemoryfeature layers.

Hi Dan,

If the map control size is bigger, the area it rendered at the same time is bigger, which means it read more data, and takes much more time on render them. So I think the performance is slower is understandable.

The best solution for your scenario is cache. You can group the layers whose data source won’t get changed high frequency, and set cache for them.

And don’t forget build index for layers also.

Regards,

Ethan

So how does the using the cache work exactly? For example, let’s say I load in 20 personalgeodatabase layers from an .mdb file. These layers will stay on the map for the duration of the application, BUT I want to change their visibility and styles periodically. Will this affect the cache, or will it have to rewrite the cache every time?

Hi Dan,

1. The cache is based overlay level, which means all layers put in the same overlay will be cached how it works the first time, the style and data source cannot get changed after cached. If you want to set visibility for each layer, just put them into different overlay.

2. If you only have limited styles for same layer, you can build different cache for this overlay by cache ID, then you can switch the cache when you want to switch style.

Regards,

Ethan