ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Adding penalty / weight to route when making a turn

Is there a way add a penalty to a route when it makes a turn rather than go straight?  The idea is that excessive turns add to the route time.

Alan 

Alan, 

Could you let us know when you want ot add a penalty to a route? After geting the route or during getting the route? They will run to different code.  

1. we can loop the turns for each RouteSegment of routing result, and check the angle or direction whether we need to add a penalty to the route if you would like add the modification after getting route. 

2. For the last scenario, we need to loop the adjacent route segments of current segment, and calculate the angle between current segment and adjacent segments to check whether we need to add a penalty to current route in the FindingPath event of Algorithm. 

Any questions please let us know. Thanks, 

Johnny

Note, I am routing ambulances in real-time and every second counts, So needless to say I am only concerned with routing "Fastest".

When the routing engine analyzes possible routes I want it to add weight everytime it makes a turn instead of going straight. Possibly even even adding weight according to the degree of the turn (ex. +/- 180 degrees). Noting that a 5 degree turn would take less time than a 90 degree turn and a 90 degree turn takes less time than a 120 degree turn. This would also add weight when there is only one adjacent segment.

It doesn't seem like this is something that can be done in the index because the added weight is dependent on the originating segment.

thanks

Alan

Alan, 

We will give you an sample about how to achive this tommorow. Very sorry for the delay. 

Thanks, 

Johnny

Alan, 

You are right. It’s unable to managed that in the index file. I tried to use FindingPath event and modify each possible routes weight during finding the routes, but fail to get what you want. 

I’m sorry for that, but I will keep on trying and hope that there is a workaround. Anyway I will give you the result as soon as possible. 

Thanks, 

Johnny 

I figured it wasn't going to be that easy!  Would be nice if it were an option (property) in the map engine

Alan, 

We are considering your advice that we can add a property on the algorithm or the routingEngine class. So that we can add some extra cost during calculating routes. Please wait for sometime.  

Thanks, 

Johnny 

Has the new release incorporated this feature?

Alan

Alan, 

I’m sorry but I need to say the new release doesn’t include this feature, which is still in work list. We are busy with some high priority requirements now. Could you contact our sales man about it if it’s urgent?  

Thanks, 
 Johnny 

hi Johnny, 

did you solve this problems in MapSuite Routing  newest version yet? 

I'm so interested in this problem.

Hi Bui, 

I am afraid it’s not been fixed yet. But it is in our list and we will look into it in the next release. Thanks for your attention. 

Thanks, 
 Lee