ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Arabic Support

Hello,

I am trying to display the arabic text and i got some problems, i have tried some methods:

Layer.Encoding = System.Text.Encoding.Unicode  - nothing displayed

Layer.Encoding = System.Text.Encoding.GetEncoding("1256") - i have tried all arabic code page but non of them work, i get an error says "code page not supported" something like that.

and then i try to render the map on the server-side, the arabic text work well and again, i encountered same problem when i try to get feature info on mouse click, the data has to be on the client-side as mentioned on the example and arabic fails on this area.

How do i get feature info on mouse click on the server-side?

Thanks. 

Rhandy,

Encoding is for decode the text of the DBF file; for example DBF data is Unicode, so the Layer should be Unicode to be decode correctly. If the encode is wrong, both value and column name will be encoded, so that we can’t find the column name from which you set in the code behind. Could you send us your data that we can test?

There are many solutions to get the feature info by mouse click event; unfortunately, we didn’t integrate them in our product for we want user to chose the best way to communicate for their app. You can use Web Service, WCF or JavaScript. The only thing I want to point out is the format of the data for transfering between client and server should be small or else the app spends more on on transfering data which is a bad user experience.

Here attach a simple sample to show you how to communicate using Web Service. You can do any custom change to improve the transfer performance.

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Howard

840-Post5938.zip (27.8 KB)

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the reply,  please find the attached file as per requested is a small portion of data where you can do some test.  You have mentioned that: "The only thing I want to point out is the format of the data for transfering between client and server should be small or else the app spends more on on transfering data which is a bad user experience."  what do you mean by this?  if my intention is only to get a specific info from a layer/s, if i have 10 layers to query for a single click, how bad is it? and what is your recommendation?

BTW, the attached Post5938.zip, sorry but i coundn't run it, i get an unknow error at the end i get "Stack overflow at line:0".

Thanks,

rhandy

845-sample.zip (2.12 KB)

Rhandy, 

That means: if you need to draw on the client side, you need to transfer the data to the client. Please try your best to shorten the data size for transferring; you know it spends a lot of time if the data is big.

I think web reference is why you cannot run this sample, please delete the web service in Silverlight App and re-add “ServiceReference1”.  

The data you attached is “System.Text.SBCSCodePageEncoding” which is not supported by Silverlight2 but supported on server side. Current Microsoft Silverlight only supports three encodings, UTF7, UTF8 and Unicode. We can’t handle much by now. We’ll let you know if we have a solution for you.

Thanks,

Howard

Hello, 

Many thanks, i hope that in the future, Silverlight will support arabic redering and the RTL display. 

Best regards, 
 rhandy

Rhandy, 

You are so welcome, please let me know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 
 Howard

Hello, 

I am facing problem on how i can render labels with two different client having two different language (English and Arabic), all my data are rendered on the server-side and i am using the SeverLayerOverlay and the SilverlightMapConnector but i cannot have more than two SeverLayerOverlay on the SilverlightMapConnector, i get an error. 

Is there any other way how to make this things possible? 

Thanks, 
 Rhandy

Rhandy, 

It’s a bug in our current public release which is fixed. We are now working on upgrading to 3.0 framework. I think we may have a new release in the middle of next month; please keep an eye on our website.  

Thanks, 
 Howard

Hi Howard, 

Thanks for the reply, i am going to wait for the new release and i hope the new version will be release in the middle of next month because my deadline is on the 1st week of September, i need to release a beta version of our product using your GIS engine. 

Good luck and best regards, 
 Rhandy

Hi Rhandy,

I see. You know 3.0 is a little different from 2.0. It has a lot of breaking change. Unfortunately, our latest version cannot work in 2.0 anymore. If you are interesting in our latest version which is not full tested, also want to upgrade your developing environment to 3.0, you can contact support@thinkgeo.com to require a temporary version which is with the bug fixed.

I recommend you upgrade to Microsoft Silverlight 3.0. It fixes a lot of bugs in 2.0 and contains some good new features.

Thanks,

Howard

Hi Howard, 

Many thanks for the reply the new temporary version did support multiple ServerLayerOverlay and it work the way i expected it to be. 

Best regards, 
 rhandy

Rhandy, 

You are welcome.  

We know the stress of your project; if you have any queries, please let me know. 

Thanks, 
 Howard