ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

ClientSide Versus ServerSide Layers

Hi,

I'm trying to build a Silverlight Application that will show a area based shapefile on top of a base map.  Each area will be colored based upon it's values in a thematic way to show which areas have a higher density of population.   When the user clicks on an area I would like to pop up a balloon with the detailed information about that area including population and name.  Ideally I would like to keep all may data server side and not have to download any data to client at all to speed up load time. When I tried this I ran into a couple of problems.

The first problem was that I'm not sure what code to write in the Map1_Click event on the client side when the user clicks on a given area.  What is the best way to get the population and name information housed back on the server side?  

The second problem is that in some cases I would like to default the application zoomed into a certian area and this can be dynamic based upon a drop down box that the user selects or a prior screen.  If the area based shape file is on the server how can I pass this extent information down to the client to automatically zoom into the area that I want to go?

I feel like I'm missing some piece of functionality between the SilverlightMapConnector and the client side.  Are these interactions possible?  If so can tell me where some sample code is or point me in the right direction?

Also do you have any guidelines on when it makes sense to use client side layers versus server side layers?

Thanks!

Clint,

Silverlight map control must work with SilverlightMapConnector, and SilverlightMapConnector likes wms server very much. It accepts the request from client side and return accurate map image to client. Also we support client and server rendering, and server rendering won't store any map data on the .xap file but client rendering will do.

For your first problem, we could implement it using wcf. Please see the sample code in the attachment. For your another problem, on the client side, user could zoom into the area that they want to go regardless of  whether shape file is on the server side or client side.  It would better to use server side layers if you want to get higher perfermance and speed up load time.

Another thing is that please copy cntry02.shp shape file and related data to App_Data folder on server side. You could find the shape file data in our installed samples which you can find at "Samples\CSharp HowDoISamples.Web\App_Data" folder.

If you still have more questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Khalil

1814-SilverlightApplication.zip (29.4 KB)

Thanks Khalil! 

That sample was great!

Clint, 

You are so welcome. Please feel free to let us know if you have more queries.  

Thanks, 
 Khalil