ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Creating a wfs server

Hi,

I am trying to create a wfs server implemention on lines of the wms server implementation that you have provided in the code samples. Could you give me pointers as to how I can go about implementing it ?

Thanks,

Amritayan

Hi amritayan,

I think the construct of a WFS server could be like the WMS one. There are two major differences between them:

One is that WMS server return an image stream for every request from the client side, but the WFS one will return a XML file stream for its request. 

The other difference is the request string constructed in the client side. WFS one should specify the column names information in the client side, such as the column name which stores the geometry, and the column name which will be used to render the label. So the server should have the ability to parse this bunch of information from the query string.

To implement these stuffs, I suggest you to take a look at the WFS Implementation specification; you should obey the specification when you write the code to construct the XML file stream, so that every client side can parse the response stream from you. You could get more detail information about WFS implementation specification from the following link:

opengeospatial.org/standards/wfs

Hope this helps and any more questions please let us know.

Thanks,

Sun