ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Custom Point Style and Animation in Silverlight

Hi,

In my Silverlight application I want to have several points displayed on top of the map.  Each of these points will contain a certain status attribute such as open, closed, jammed, ect...   What I would like to do is provide animation of the point symbol based upon this status.  For example if the status was open maybe the point would flash every 10 seconds, but if it was jammed it would flash every 2 seconds, and if it was closed it would never flash.

I thought about implementing this a custom style but I wasn't sure if it was possible or not.  How does animation work in the silverlight edition or can it be done?  And if so do you have any samples that would show this?  I would think my custom style would have two properties like FlashInterval and Flashing (boolean).  Finally if I did get this custom style to work would I be able to use it on the Web and Desktop editions as well?  My guess it that it would be pretty difficult on the web edition, but wondered what you guys thought.

Thanks!

Hi Clint,

In Silverlight, there are two ways to implement animation; one is by Storyboard while the other one is by Timer.

Currently, Map Suite Silverlight Edition doest support flash style. Technically, we can implement this style; I think the difficult point is to avoid the timer confliction and how to manage these timers in one application.

On the other hand, we are not sure exactly that what animation dose users like most, for example, some users like flashing while the others like scaling up and down, or custom animations; some like use Storyboard while the others like timer, we need to do our homework first.

I’m not sure the meaning by flashing every 10 seconds, do you mean display as default for 10 seconds, and disappear for 1 second or more, then display again, or reverse the meaning what I mean, or just re-add the features again no matter how fast it is?

The attached sample is made by my understanding; please have a look at it.

In the attached sample, there are 3 features, their status attributes are open, closed, jammed; the open one flash in 4 seconds and the jammed one flash in 2 seconds, while the closed one does nothing.

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Howard

668-Post5716.zip (24.5 KB)