I am installing an application that uses MapSuite Desktop edition on a 64bit windows 7 machine. (This installs ok on an XP machine)
When the application uses MapSuite Desktop editions "ImageLayer" class I get a "File Not Found" error when I try and load the class via new ImageLayer(pathtoMapFile));
I have validated that my file exists in the location specified and this only happens on 64bit windows machines. Is there a resolution to this issue?
The versions are MapSuiteCommon 1.9.9.0 DesktopEdition.dll 1.9.9.0
I have not worked any 1.9 issues for a couple of years so I may be a bit rusty with this version of Map Suite! :)
First I am not sure that 1.9 supported 64-bit compliation so my first inclination would be to compile your application as x86. This way you are running your application in 32-bit mode and can perhaps disregard the 64-bit-type of your client's machine.
Are you using one of our MergeModules as part of your installer? If so you might need to modify your installer a bit. On a 64-bit OS all 32-bit dlls are stored in the Windows\SysWOW64 folder and the MergeModule might be trying to install the 'system32 dlls' in Windows\System32, which is the location for all 64-bit dlls.
Finally I know there were some drawing engine changes between Windows 7 and XP, but I am not sure that this is the issue you are encountering. Let me know about your compliation-type and about your installer/MergeModule information and we can work from there.
I tried compiling as x86 but still got the same error when I ran in my development environment.
I have checked the install and it doesn’t look like we are using merge modules there so I’m wondering if it is an actual issue with the library not being compatible with Windows 7? I found the following links.
The first link only relates to an issue we had installing Map Suite on machines with User Access Control and a limitation of the OLEDB usage in 64-bit environments so this should not apply to the issue you are encountering.
The second link only deals with the Map Suite Spatial Data Extension which is a sdk that allows Map Suite to access ARCSDE data services.
In your first post you said that your application installed fine on Windows XP, does this also mean that the ImageLayer code also works when running on Windows XP? Does it work on Windows XP -64-bit or just 32-bit?
I setup a quick test of the 1.9 sample applications on a Windows 7 - 64 bit environment and was able to narrow down the issue a bit.
When I first ran the 'Image Layer' sample it complained of a 'File Not Found' exception. The issue was that I did not have the 'system32 dlls' that the 1.9 version requires in my SysWow64 folder. The MergeModule we provide with the 1.9 Desktop Edition should allow you to install the necessary dlls in the appropriate SysWOW64 folder on your 64-bit machines, but if you want to do a quick test you can simply copy these dlls from your development system to your Windows 7- 64-bit system.
Here are the dlls I copied from the Windows XP -- 32-bit -- System32 folder to the Windows 7 -- 64-bit -- SysWOW64 folder:
iti_dsdk_dll.dll
MapSuiteECW.dll
MapSuiteGeoRaster.dll
MapSuiteMrSids.dll
MapSuiteMrSids2.dll
NCScnet.dll
NCSEcw.dll
NCSEcwC.dll
NCSUtil.dll
All of the these dlls are provided by the MergeModule as well.
I was able to get both the TIFF and MrSid images in the 'Image Layer' sample application to work with those dlls in place but the ECW image still seems to have some issues:
This is an issue that was introduced with Windows Vista for which a fix was developed. In the 2.28.0 version we updated the ECW libraries to resolve the non-display issues of ECW files on Windows Vista. Unfortunately by the time the 2.28.0 version was released the ECW dll name was completely different than the one used in the 1.9 version, so we even if I could provide you with the updated 2.28.0 'ECW dll' the 1.9 version would not know how to access it. Really the only path I see for you would be to update to the 2.28.0 or later versions of Map Suite.
I am looking into what is involved in an upgrade. Do you know
1) Is there a trial version available? 2) What is the cost of an upgrade? 3) Are there known deprecated methods in the new set of dlls vs the old ones?
We can supply you with an evaluation of the 2.28.0 or later Desktop Edition that would be valid for 90 days.
Pricing information is not normally discussed in the Forums but you would be welcome to contact your sales representative for more information on pricing for an updated version. Our sales department can be contacted at the number located on our Contact Us page: gis.thinkgeo.com/Contact/tabid/147/Default.aspx
Not until the 3.0 version was compatibility really considered so you won't find deprecated methods between the early 1.9 and 2.0 versions. I can supply you a document showing the public item differences for the 2.28.0 Desktop Edition but the oldest I can easily access is the 1.9.28 version.
To supply you with an evaluation version and the difference document a Customer Portal Ticket was created for you in our Customer Portal. Simply login to helpdesk.thinkgeo.com to access the ticket.
After installing the Evaluation Version of Map Suite 2.28.0 Desktop edition I get the following error message when I try to run my application: "The evaluation period for this component has expired."
This message usually appears if the evaluation period has elapsed but I have also seen this occur in rare cases with new evaluation installations. I provided an evaluation extension tool within the Customer Portal Ticket that should resolve this issue. Please refer to the Customer Portal for this tool and instructions.