I have a client that has handed me a Shape file and other associated pieces of information. I however cannot determine what the Internal Projection Parameters are. Since I am new to working with this type of data I am kind of at a loss as to where I should look in the accompanying XML document to find the parameters I need.
Is there any documentation related to this topic that I can look at? Or better yet are there tools in existence that can read the XML document and determine what my inputs should be?
The projection info is usually stored in a .prj file. Did your client send you that? If yes, I think you need to convert the .prj file to a proj4 string and it then can be used in our system. Here is a website you can check about the projections.
I'm not sure about the XML you mentioned. There’s an article about defining projection with XML file for ArcIMS Map Service I found on Esri official website, please have a look and maybe that helps
It did come with a project file. Is there a way to load the project file into the ManagedProj4Projection object or do I need to interpret the below data into a properly formatted string?
That’s great you found it. In fact we are working on the prj, proj4 conversion now and we might have something pretty soon, then you can use our control directly to do the conversion.
That’s good to know. Chances are most clients will have different projection settings. It was a good experience having to find these parameters myself the first time tho. Helped me to understand what they meant and what they were used for.
I am glad you have your projection issue resolved and that you learned something new. Remember, as Ben mentioned earlier, that spatial-reference.org is a very handy website to find the EPSG or ESRI code that accepts Map Suite. And you will find various projection as you can see for your projection NAD83 / UTM zone 18N spatial-reference.org/ref/epsg/26918/. (That code can also be substituted by the Proj4 string spatial-reference.org/ref/epsg/26918/proj4/