ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Does MapSuite 3.0 support ESRI Compressed File Database

Currently I have a bunch of applications using ESRI compressed File Geodatabase or GDT compressed GeoDatabase. I try to migrate them to MapSuite application, if I can find a solution to load map layers from ESRI compressed file geodatabase. The beauty of ESRI compressed file geodatabase is its size. It's only 1/4 or 1/5 of the size of shapefiles. I have 5 - 9 GB shapefiles need go with some of my applications. If I use the compressed geodatabase, I only need deploy 1 - 2 GB data to my client.

Thanks.

Kevin, 

I have been doing some research on the File Geo-Database and it seems that this type is proprietary and ESRI is not pushing the specs for it.  We do support the Personal Geo-Database however as you said that isn’t what you want.  If you are concerned about the space we could look at creating an optimized format to save space.  I am sure we could come up with something that might see the same savings. 

David

Hi David,

Could you please write an optimized format and a utility for me to convert shape files into this format?

Thanks.

Kevin

Kevin, 

We have this on our list and I will update you when I know more.  How is the speed versus shape files with the file geo-database?  Do you have a shape file we can use where you can compressed it and know the size difference.  In this way we have a target.  I have been doing some reading on the format and the compression varies quite a bit depending on a number of factors.  If we have a sample that would be great. 

David