ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Fatal crashes when generating contours

Guys, I'm finally implementing your contouring code (IsoLine stuff).   We are creating a matrix of GridCell objects, and passing in our own collection of IsoLineLevels.   We're runnig great on about 80% of the data we test with.   But when we fail, we fail ugly.  We are apparently getting an unmanaged exception.   Whatever it is, it is an error that we cannot trap, and it brings the application down.

I need to understand the range of grid cell values that you expect.   For most data we have to multiply by 1000, but on stuff like pH, we have to multiply by 10,000 or we get these errrors.    Maps that are relatively "flat" are more of an issue.

Is there anything that can be done to catch the errors, rather than bring the app down?

How can I send you a test file of GridCell values and the IsoLineLevels that we use, causing the app to crash?   Send a text file with lon/lat, x/y indices and values?   Embed the number of rows and columns in the file or in a separate file?  

Thanks!

Hi Ted, 

You can send your whole sample that could recreate your scenario to forumsupport@thinkgeo.com, after we get the sample, we’ll work on this. 

Thanks, 

Edgar

I am not going to send the whole project.   I was hoping that I could just send you data.    But I will go ahead and build a small sample that uses my own data format.  Might be tomorrow.

Ted, 

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant that you can send a sample which is as simple as possible to recreate your scenario, and then we’ll solve your problem efficiently. As you said, we’ll wait for your sample. 

Best regards, 

Edgar

I sent a small sample application that demonstrates this issue to forumsupport@thinkgeo.com. Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to help resolve this issue.

Hi Brian & Ted, 

The bug has been fixed, please get the 6.0.0.137 and have a try. 

Regards, 

Edgar

Wow.   That was quick! 

Is 6.0.0.137 a .Net 4.0 build, or will we still be able to use it with 3.5?

Thank you, the version is still 3.0 and it will work properly with 3.5. 

Edgar

We are still seeing issues with this. I just sent an email to forumsupport@thinkgeo.com with more details and a link to a test project that can be used to replicate some of the issues we are seeing.

We are still seeing issues with this. I just sent an email to forumsupport@thinkgeo.com with more details and a link to a test project that can be used to replicate some of the issues we are seeing.

Brian, 

Thanks for your sample, the bug which leads the app to crash has been fixed, please get 6.0.163.0 or 6.0.0.163 and have a try. For your another problem, the sequence of features is different but the count is the same, because it is caused by the multithreading, I think it doesn’t make any sense right? If you have any questions, please let us know. 

Regards, 
 Edgar

I will get that and try it. As for threading being the reason the geometries don’t compare; that thought had occurred to me. I’ll varify it with the current build, but the reason we looked at that in the first place was because we are getting maps with different contour lines each time we generated them.

Hi Brian,  

Thanks for your patience. We received your e-mail with the sample link and should be review this soon.

Hi Brian,  

Thanks for your patience. We received your e-mail with the sample link and should be reviewing this soon.

So how is the dlls mentioned in my last reply? Did they work? 

Regards, 
 Edgar

No. The crash for this specific data has been fixed. But we are still getting inconsistent geometries. I emailed forumsupport@thinkgeo.com with a link to an updated test application. This test application was updated to make sure we are comparing geometries for the same ISO line break values.

Sorry we cannot open the link you mentioned in the email, could you please attach it to the email if it’s not too big? BTW, as I mentioned in my last reply, the inconsistent geometries are caused by the multi-threading, is it necessary for you to get the consistent geometries? If so, please include your requirements in the project and we may help on that to give you a workaround if possible or expose the new API to control the threading type. 

Regards, 
 Edgar 

Sorry. I found an issue in my test application. I think your last fix addresses my current issues. I will let you know if that is not the case.

OK, waiting for your result.

The generation of ISOLines is working fine now.    We had an issue with the way we were processing them in the random order in which they are generated.  We have resolved that issue now and the tool is working well.   There is an example of our solution in the WPF forum.

Thank you for your quick attention to the original errors.