ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Fixing missing addresses

This is related to the topic thinkgeo.com/forums/MapSuite/tabid/143/aft/13061/Default.aspx

When we are doing searching and an address isn’t found, we get back a lot of results in different zip codes.  This causes a lot of issues for our clients who are relying in the data to be accurate for census block reports they are compiling.  We will add in the zip code check to make sure we ignore anything that falls outside the zip code the search string is sending in.  Personally I think if I am using MatchMode.ExactMatch I don’t think we should have to do more checks to make sure the zip code matches.  If I wanted more results for the user to scroll through I would use the Fuzzy match.

Now, my real question is, when I have an address that I know is correct:

1720 Ravello Way, Brentwood, TN 37027

and I get results in FL, how do we report those to get fixed? Below is the set of results from the GeoCoder.  Below that is the result from Google. 

I understand that the dataset that we have doesn’t include that address, but what explanation should I give to my clients who use the system and can’t get reliable results?  Ideally I would give them a place they can go to submit issues so they get cleaned up.  Does such a place exist?  And if it does, how long does it take to get the new addresses entered and delivered for use in geocoder?

What we are really looking for is a way to reassure our clients that the data they are looking for will be accurate once the new addresses are added to the dataset.  Additionally we would like them to be able to submit these locations directly, rather than contacting us each time they find a missing address.

Hi Jake, 

Thanks for your detail description. 

Our Geocoder data is come from some data like TIGER, so it maybe cannot get the best result because the data limitation. I tested your sample Geocoder string, it cannot be found in our newest data and Bing, so I think that’s because data reason. 

For our Geocoder, because it’s based on dbf file and index file, add or update data is very hard, and the index need be regenerated even you modify dbf succeed. So we don’t support modify that. But I think you can build a list in your application (I guess you are using desktop edition), before call our Geocoder, you can match in this list, then you can modify it and add the custom data. 

Wish that’s helpful. 

Regards, 

Don

A little more explanation of our system.  We currently host a service that returns GIS and Census Data to clients.  We want a way for the clients to update the source data, whether through Thinkgeo or Census Bureau or wherever you get your data from.  This will allow us to always take the latest data set from you and not worry about merging files/data.   

Is there a place our clients can submit new addresses so they will work their way into your datasets?  That seems like a win for everyone, all your users of geocoder will help update your dataset to be more complete.

Hi Jake, 

Thanks for your suggestion, your idea looks like create a service like OpenStreetMap, user can help to make the data better. I think it’s a good idea and I will let our managers know that.  

But for now we don’t have a system like that, and the current data create structure is not easy to get update, so I think as a workaround, you maybe can tried to create a simple service like that in your application, so your client can submit their data into a list, then your application can check the list before call Geocoder. 

Regards, 

Don