ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Geocoding error

Hey,

I was just testing your geocoding in one of my unit tests and it has the following lines

var matchResult = geoCoder.Match("HWY 80 & OLD PIKE RD MOUNT MEIGS AL 36057");

var matchItems = matchResult.MatchItems;

the geocoder is the us geocoder and i have the right file with me. I used the centroidpoint property that is set to get the lat long of the matched result. the lat long returned is as folllows  "42.55645,-78.152794"

i wanted to see this in google and the difference in geocoding can be seen clearly. I have attached a screenshot for the same. Why is this happening?

I tried to locate this address “HWY 80 & OLD PIKE RD MOUNT MEIGS AL 36057” using both ThinkGeo (maps.thinkgeo.com/web) and Google Maps (maps.google.com). I’m getting totally different results. Google Maps gives the expected result whereas the first result returned by ThinkGeo is way off the mark and the last result is somewhat closer to expected result which I believe to be based on just the state name. 

Does ThinkGeo expects address in a particular format? and why ThinkGeo returned address from NY, WV and GA when I’ve specified state and zip in my address? 

Here’s my other observation  

The geocoding of “HWY 80 & OLD PIKE RD MOUNT MEIGS AL 36057” is way off the mark whereas “HWY 80 & OLD PIKE ROAD MOUNT MEIGS AL 36057” is somewhat closer. (The difference being ROAD) 

So does that mean that short forms are not allowed in address?

Anil & Chandan, 

Thanks for your reply,  

First I would like to explain the search logic for the UsaGeocoder object,  when it searches the entered address, it would pass the internal plugins below one by one: 

StreetMatchingPlugin, 
 ZipDbfMatchingPlugin, 
 CityDbfMatchingPlugin, 
 CountyDbfMatchingPlugin, 
 StateDbfMatchingPlugin, 
 CensusTractsDbfMatchingPlugin, 
 CensusBlockDbfMatchingPlugin, 
 CensusBlockGroupDbfMatchingPlugin 

According to my test, the " HWY 80 & OLD PIKE RD MOUNT MEIGS" address can not be found out from the StreetMatchingPlugin, so in our result list we just displayed the valid results from the other plugins. Why the "HWY 80 & OLD PIKE RD MOUNT MEIGS" street address cannot be found, because we cannot find out the address from the streets.dbf index file, I checked the original data source for streets, I still cannot find the "HWY 80 & OLD PIKE RD MOUNT MEIGS" address. Our index data source is from TigerData 2009, but the Google Maps data source is Navateq.  Also we have APIs can help you build your own complete index data, please check our BuildIndexFile sample, 

If you have any other questions please let me know, 

Thanks, 

Scott,