ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Google Maps

Hello everybody,

I need to make a Silverligth application for managing google Maps. 

I can´t make it work. In the How do I... samples the code for google maps is commented and if I uncomment it is doesn´t work, I get no Map. I´ve tried different ways to do it and same problem.

Could you please tell me easily how to load a google map in a map component.

Thank you very much,

Esther

Hi Esther,

I have attached a simple sample. Please check it out. If you still have problems please let us know.

Thanks,

Johnny

SilverlightApplication1.zip (15.2 KB)

Thank you very much, 
 Is works, I can see the google Map although the dragging is very slow. 
 Is it possible to do google searches?? I mean, I´d like to have a text box and be able to search for cities, streets and so on 
 Sorry for all questions but I am very new to this. 
 Regards, 
 Esther

Esther, 

Sorry that there is no built-in API for that now, but you can manage it with Google Geocoding API simply. Please refer to code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/geocoding/ for detail. And some sample code snippet maybe like below: 

string sPath = "maps.google.com/maps/api/geocode/xml?address=" + strAddress + "&sensor=true"; 
       WebClient client = new WebClient(); 
       string eResult = client.DownloadString(sPath).ToString(); 
       XmlDocument xmldoc = new XmlDocument(); 
       xmldoc.LoadXml(eResult); 

If you still have problems please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Johnny 

Hello Johnny, 

I downloaded your project, SilverlightApplicaiton1.zip, and I fixed up the references, added the default.aspx as the startup page, changed SilverlightApplication1.Web as the start up project and it worked once ot twice. Now it won;t work. I am getting Line: 437 

Error: Sys.InvalidOperationException: ImageError error #4001 in control 'SilverlightMapConnector1': AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR 

I even tried blowing the project away, downloading again and going through the same process that I followed to get it to work the first time and it still doesnt work. Seems strange because I didnt really do much to get it to run the first time but now it won't run. Does anything get cached anywhere?  

Thanks, 

Leon

Leon,
Thanks for pointing this error out. I think this is a very common issue about Google Overlay I need to give some instructions.
In SilverlightEdiiton, The GoogleOverlay uses the “Google Static Maps API”, which  is subject to a query limit of 1000 unique (Different) images requests per viewer per day. If a user exceeds the limit as proscribed above, it will give an error image with no .Png format, which is not allowed format in MS Silverlight platform, so the error happened.
Please get the detail from code.google.com/apis/maps/do...taticmaps/ .
Thanks,
Johnny

Johnny, 

Thanks for the information. Is there anyway around this. I think I only ran my page 2 or 3 times in Visual Studio Debugger. I might have panned and zoomed a bit (which I assume is more image downloads) but that limitation makes it pretty much unusuable.

Let me try and describe what I want to do.  I am looking to replace a current static map based system that is built on Bing maps.  I would like a high quality base map with Satelitte and Road maps.  I would then like the ability to have different layers that get dynamically built with points of interest from a database (Code behind).  The user will be able to choose layers.  Most of this I can see in your product except for the high quality base maps... that is why I was trying to use a Google as that base layer... is there another way to do this.  Am I heading the wrong direction with your software.  Since I am new to your product, any advice would be good because right now I am considering moving on in my evaluation process.

thanks for your time, Leon

Leon,
I think the 1000 limits is a nuisance. It’s not enough to develop with it using Multi-tiles. The workaround is that you can try it with SingleTile, which makes map request only one image for one view.
I think I get what you want. I’m just curious about “The Bing maps isn’t a high quality map”, it also has the Satellite and road map, but little limits for development. I’m sorry but this is just my thinking.
Thanks, Leon. Any other requirements or idea please let us know.

Hello,

I am back to evaluating your software and I am trying out the Google Overlay per your suggestions.  I have a question, does it have to be in GeographyUnit.Meter?  is there anyway to make Geography.DecimalDegree work.  Everything else I am doing is using DecimalDegree.

Thanks, Leon

Leon,
As far as I know, The Google Static API just can return the images in 900913 coordinates even if the request “center” parameter is Decimal Degree. For instance, the request url is
maps.google.com/maps/api/sta...nsor=false , in it, the request Center is “38.371289,-94.683984”, but the return images is still the 900913 projected image. In other words, we can make the MapUnit to GeographyUnit.DecimalDegree, it also can return the normal images and display the Decimal Degree mouse coordinates at lower-right corner, but the images is still in meter projected and unable to match with other DecimalDegree maps. Here is the screenshot when the mapUnit is in DecimalDegree:

I think the above images show my explanation clearly. Hope this help you.
Thanks,
Johnny