ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Implementation Question/Clarification

Hi All,

I am growing concerned as I walk through the Quickstart guide on how the Silverlight MapSuite component is implemented. It seems that by creating the server side rendering (we will NOT be pushing map data to the client) connection between the aspx page that launches the map enabled Silverlight application and the application itself, it would creating overhead for the non map enabled portions of the Silverlight app. I would have preferred to have seen the server side mapping service seperate from and pointed to via a property of the XAML Map object. But - that does not appear to be the case...

The short story is that we are porting a LOB application currently in ASP.NET with the ASP.NET AJAX version of MapSuite into Silverlight. Mapping is a small but important piece of the application that only is used in certain screens, not the entire application. So my questions are:

1) Is there overhead or problems associated with running your entire application with the Map Connector always there?

2) Is there something I am missing and there is a way to point a map to a service?

3) Does anyone else have a similar situation or implemented something akin to what I described above?

Thanks for any feedback or hopefully clarifications to my minute understanding of how Silverlight MapSuite works!

Justin

Hi, Justin 

I think I have got your idea. The SilverlightMapConnector is more like a WMS server; it receives the request from the client-side and process it and then return the image that user wants. I think you can set up a WCF or webservice project to create a wms server for producing images with MapSuiteCore assembly, then show the map using WmsOverlay in SilverlightEdition without SilverlightMapConnector.That will be a pure Silverlight viewer project whose host can be a html page or somthing else.  However, it will occur license problem if you run this project in  EVALUATION or FULL mode. We are considering the solution about this problem. We will let you know if we have any progress on it. 

Thanks, 
 Khalil

Thanks Khalil, 

Does this mean if I implemented the solution you describe, it would essentially only run in Development mode? This would obviously be a problem… 

I would be very interested in any progress or timelines you have on a solution to this problem. My current architecture is at a crossroads, and I wasn’t anticipating this type of architecture with the Silverlight version of your product. 

Thanks again, 

Justin 

Justin, if you do it like the way I describe in the last reply, I’m sorry to say that the app won’t run like what you want in any mode. That’s because we’ll check it in EVALUATION and FULL mode, so whatever edition you have installed, it will also encounter license problem.   
 OK, we’ll work on it quickly and inform you if we have any progress or results. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Thanks, 
 Khalil