ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Importing roads into SQL Server using Shape2SQL

Does anyone know why Road.shp files contained in OpenStreetMapData will NOT import into SQL Server using the Shape2SQL program?  And is there a better program to use to import these shape files into SQL Server?

Thanks!

bob

Hi Bob,  

I don’t know of any exact reason this should not work. Do you have any additional information on what is occurring when you attempt to import the data? What behavior are you seeing?

No.  It has worked fine previously.  I’m getting not errors for feedback, but it seems to work sometimes with smaller .shp files but not with ones over 100000 records.  :(   

I’ve downloaded FME Demo (which is way overkill) and was able to do the conversion. 

Besides the geom field, what other fields in the roads table are needed for routing? 

bob

Hi Bob, 

Sorry for the inconvenience, the geom field is the only one needed for routing. BTW, thank you for providing us the error information, we’ll have a look at that. 

Regards, 

Edgar

Hi Bob, 

Sorry for the inconvenience, the geom field is the only one needed for routing. BTW, thank you for providing us the error information, we’ll have a look at that. 

Regards, 

Edgar

Can you please tell me why SHP2SQL.exe can’t import these large shp files? 

Thanks. 

bob

Sorry Bob, this is not our product so I can’t tell you the reason. 

Regards, 
 Edgar