ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Issues Getting Started

Greetings,

I am looking at migrating from the Desktop Edition over to the Silverlight Edition of Map Suite.  I've gone through the Getting Started example and was able to get something working when my data was all stored client side.  However, when I moved on to server side data, nothing worked.

When running in Firefox, nothing showed up.  Looking at the error console, I get the following error: SilverlightMapConnector1 is not defined.  However, I do see a map when I run in IE, although the the server side layers do not display (possibly IE and Firefox handle errors differently and really the error is occuring in both but IE will still allow the client side code to execute?)

Any insights into why I might be getting the error and how to fix it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time and help,

Ryan

Ryan, 

There must be something wrong in your application. Please check the tips below to see if there is any help. 

1, the default startup page of server project (e.g. SilverlightSample.Web project) is not default.aspx which is different from a normal web project. Please set default.aspx as startup page. 
 2, the map connector needs a ScriptManager to work with it. Please make sure the startup page contains a ScriptManager. 
 3, our Silverlight Edition upgrades from MS Silverlight 2.0 to 3.0; so there is a difference to reference the DLLs to void its breaking change; please show us your Silverlight Edition version you are using. 

If the tips above cannot help, please provide us your sample to help us to recreate your issue. 

On the client side, we get rid of some good features which support by Desktop or Web Edition; so we added server support to make it up. 

Please let me know if you have any queries. 

Thanks, 
 Howard

I downloaded the code attached to the Getting Started guide and the same thing occurs.  I get the ‘SilverlightMapConnector1 is not defined.’ error when running in Firefox, however when it is run in IE everything seems to load fine.  I have the latest build of SilverlightEdition (3.0.382) 

Thanks for your help. 

Ryan

Ryan, 

You mean the in IE it seems fine. I want to make sure does the map shows states only or the world? Could you please send us a screenshot of your sample? Could you please check the startup project when your press F5 to run the application. It should be *.web project. 

Thanks, 
 Howard

Actually I get all of the countries now when using IE as shown below:

However in Firefox I just get a white screen:

With the following in the error console:

I'm not able to test this at the moment but I seem to recall having similar problems when I was starting with the Silverlight component which I think got around by changing or deleting the DOCTYPE  declaration in the html page. 

Regards

Gary

Thanks Gary!  That seems to have solved all my issues.

Ryan, Gary, 

Thanks for solving this issue for me, Gary. The DOCTYPE is the standard to apply the styles in different web browser; maybe it affects the width and height in your application and it failed. It causes many issue in our Silverlight Edition and Web Edition. 

Ryan, sorry that I cannot sensed the reason at the first time. 

Please let me know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 
 Howard