ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Map not loading

Hi all,

I'm not sure what's happening here but in my debug environment, the map tiles don't load correctly anymore. Instead, I get white coloured tiles as shown in the screenshot below:

However, the map still loads fine in the test server were I've deployed the application. I found this issue after I deleted my old map cache in my local machine a couple of days ago. I tried several things but haven't been able to find a solution. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Nirish

Hi, Nirish 

The map still works fine in your server that’s because the map gets tiles from the cache system and not generated on the fly. So the problems is maybe caused by the render phase. 
 I suggest you first off delete all the map cache for your local machine and test it once more, and I guess the blank image has been cached. You could check whether the blank image will be generated. If that’s true, please provide us with the code you are consuming. 

Thanks, 
 Khalil

Hi Khalil, 

Thanks for your reply. The test server is generating the correct map tiles in runtime. I’ve already checked this by clearing the cache in the server and the local machine. What do you think are the most probable reasons for the generation of blank map tiles? It’s not the data because I’m using the same shape files in both environments. When I remove the shape files from my machine, it doesn’t generate the white tiles, just shows the blue background. I don’t think it’s the code either because I haven’t made any changes to the functions that load the maps and the same code works when deployed to the server. 

Thanks, 

Nirish

Nirish, 

There are something I want to confirm with you. Whether the white tiles has been cached or whether you could see the blank map tiles in the cache directory? And what’s that on the top of blank tiles? markers or some others? 

Thank, 
 Khalil

Whether the white tiles has been cached or whether you could see the blank map tiles in the cache directory? 
 The white tiles are generated in runtime and also cached in the cache directory. 

And what’s that on the top of blank tiles? markers or some others?  
 They are just markers. 

The blue background is just the default background of the map.

That is really weird. I can’t figure it out. I need your sample code to recreate this problem so that we could address it quickly.

Hi Khalil,

I'm getting the same issue in the 'Simple Server Rendering' example of the sample app (Screenshot below): 

I've attached the file from the sample. I've commented out the lines I didn't need for my testing and left the ones which load cntry02.shp:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
if (!Page.IsPostBack)
{
ShapeFileFeatureLayer worldLayer = new ShapeFileFeatureLayer(MapPath("~/app_data/cntry02.shp"));
worldLayer.ZoomLevelSet.ZoomLevel01.DefaultAreaStyle = AreaStyles.CreateSimpleAreaStyle(GeoColor.FromArgb(255, 243, 239, 228), GeoColor.FromArgb(255, 218, 193, 163), 1);
worldLayer.ZoomLevelSet.ZoomLevel01.ApplyUntilZoomLevel = ApplyUntilZoomLevel.Level20;

// Native Server 1
BackgroundLayer backgroundLayer = new BackgroundLayer(new GeoSolidBrush(GeoColor.FromArgb(255, 156, 187, 216)));
ServerLayerOverlay layerOverlay = new ServerLayerOverlay("NativeServer");
layerOverlay.Layers.Add(backgroundLayer);
layerOverlay.Layers.Add(worldLayer);
SilverlightMapConnector1.ServerLayerOverlays.Add(layerOverlay);
}
}

Am I missing to include any line of code for Version 4.0?

Thanks,

Nirish

2116-Default.aspx.cs (10.7 KB)

Hi, Nirish 

I think that the problem is caused by that you don’t install the SilverlightEdition in your local machine. I guess that you just copy the DLLS that are need for the Silverlight App to your machine. So install it and this problem will be fixed. 

Thanks, 
 Khalil

Hi Khalil, 

The Silverlight Edition is already installed on my local machine. From what I remember, the app doesn’t start up or the map displays an error message if it’s not installed. But the app’s running fine. Just for testing purposes, I uninstalled and installed Silverlight Edition again but I still get the black white tiles loading up. :( 

Thanks, 
 Nirish

Hi, Nirish

The reason caused this problem I could figure out is only that you don't installed it completely. So I write a small program to check whether you have installed it completely. Please send the result the console application runs to me in your reply.

Thanks,

Khalil

2119-ConsoleApplication.zip (2.95 KB)

Hi Khalil, 

The message reads: 
 You don’t install Silverlight Edition completely. 
 You haven’t installed Silverlight Edition Full . 

I have the Evaluation edition of Version 4.0 on this machine. I thought evaluation editions were fully functional.  

Nirish

Hi, Nirish 

This message tells me that you don’t install silverlight edition completely.  
 I suggest that you install the full edition in your local machine. 

Thanks, 
 Khalil

Hi Khalil, 

I don’t think that’s the issue here. My test server also has the evaluation version installed and the maps show up fine on it. I don’t understand why the evaluation version would all of a sudden stop showing the correct map tiles when the downloads page (gis.thinkgeo.com/Products/MapSuiteFreeTrialDownloads/tabid/152/Default.aspx) clearly states that all evaluation versions are “Fully-functional; no locked or disabled features”?  

Thanks, 
 Nirish

Nirish,

It seems that something wrong with installation happened. I believe the evaluation version has fully-functional, no locked or disabled features. To make your application fine, several things we need to do:

1. Find the MapSuiteCore.dll referenced

3. Right-click to switch to the “Details” tab of its properties, and then check if the “File Description” is Evaluation or Full. See the attachment, which shows the DLL evaluation.

1. Open the “MapSuiteRegistrationBuilder.exe” in “Install Folder/ Map Suite Silverlight Full Edition 3.0/ Miscellaneous\Map Suite Registration Builder”, and then click “Generate Request File” and saved it as “*.Request”.

3. Send the “*.request” file to support@thinkgeo.com . Please make sure you list details of your issue in the email.

Also I will send another Email to our support to let them know the issue.

Thanks,

Johnny

2134-RegisterInformation.zip (17.7 KB)

Thanks Johnny,

I think I've found the reason behind the issue. I had the  4.0.0.0 version of MapSuite (released on 1 May 2010) installed on my machine. The version details of the release is as follows:

Then I downloaded version 4.0.24.0 of the daily evaluation builds from crm.thinkgeo.com/helpdesk/EvaluationDownload.aspx and replaced the 4.0.0.0 DLLs in my solution with the 4.0.24.0 DLLs. The details of the MapSuiteCore.dll from the new versions shows that it's a full version:

I think it's this version conflict between the installed build and the build used in the solution that caused the map to generate black white tiles instead of the correct map tiles. in my previous similar downloads, I could just copy the daily evaluation build DLLs on top of the existing ones in the solutions without any problems. Very strange.

Anyway, thanks for your help in resolving this issue. It had been bugging my manager and I for days.

Cheers,

Nirish

Nirish, 

It will run into error if you use full (evaluation) version but just install evaluation (full) version. I’m very sure the strategy was taken long before.  

I’m very sorry for the inconvenience. Any other questions please let us know. 

Johnny 

Now I’m really confused. What’s the difference between “full (evaluation)” and “evaluation (full)” versions? I thought there were only two versions: full (purchased) and evaluation (trial).

Hi Nirish,

It seems that we are saying the same thing. I mean that if you use full version but only installed evaluation version, or if you use evaluation version but installed full version, the application will run into error. 

Thanks,

Johnny