ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Map refreshes twice when zoom level is changed with PanZoomBar

We have a map that uses a ServerlLayerOverlay for counties and their names as labels.  The overlay TyleType is set to SingleTile.

If we zoom in by defining a zoom area (mouse click/drag with shift key) the map tile refreshes once.  However, if we change the zoom using the PanZoomBar, the map tile refreshes twice.  The second tile is slightly larger than the first and both tiles are visible because of partial transparency used in the overlay styles.

Is this a bug with the PanZoomBar? If not, how do we prevent the second tile refresh from occurring?

Hi Chuck,

We can't recreate the issue you mentioned. Instead the map will look like the image below when we drag with shift key (ServerLayerOverlay with SingleTile). Is this the same issue with yours? Could you please provide us some screenshots or sample to illustrate your issue?

We will keep an eye on your feedback and track the root cause.

Regards,

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

I've seen the behavior you described as well, but mostly when aggressively panning by mouse drag.

Attached is an image showing what I see, where the county names are shown twice at slightly different font sizes.  The county lines are fine because they belong to features in an InMemoryFeatureLayer.  The problem persists even if I collapse the InMemoryFeatureLayer.  

When using the zoom bar, two calls are made to GeoTile.axd for the county map each time I click the + or - symbol or slide the zoom bar.  After the first call completes, the labels appear correctly.  After the second call completes, the duplicate labels appear. I've tried the default zoom levels and custom zoom levels  (using Map.SyncClientZoomLevels) and see similar behavior except the font size difference is much greater with the default zoom levels. 

Again, the double-label problem only appears when using the zoom bar.  The labels appear correctly when panning the map by dragging with a mouse or zooming by shift-drag.  In those cases, only a single call to GeoTile.axd is made to refresh the map.  Here are a few more details:

Server-side code:

ShapeFileFeatureLayer countyLayer = new ShapeFileFeatureLayer(Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/cb100_poly.shp"));

TextStyle countyTextStyle = TextStyles.CreateSimpleTextStyle("CO_NAME", "Arial", 10,                      DrawingFontStyles.Regular, GeoColor.StandardColors.Black);

countyLayer.ZoomLevelSet.ZoomLevel10.DefaultTextStyle = countyTextStyle;

countyLayer.ZoomLevelSet.ZoomLevel10.ApplyUntilZoomLevel = ApplyUntilZoomLevel.Level20;

ServerLayerOverlay countyLayerOverlay = new ServerLayerOverlay("CountyServerOverlay");

countyLayerOverlay.Layers.Add("CountyLayer", countyLayer);

SilverlightMapConnector1.ServerLayerOverlays.Add(countyLayerOverlay);

Silverlight code:

ServerLayerOverlay countyServerOverlay = new ServerLayerOverlay("CountyServerOverlay", "SilverlightMapConnector1");

countyServerOverlay.TileType = TileType.SingleTile;

Map.Overlays.Add("CountyOverlay", countyServerOverlay);

We're only using the county layer to show labels at this point because we're working with the county polygons as individual features in various InMemoryFeatureLayers.  The server overlay is positioned on top of the InMemoryFeatureLayers so the labels appear on top starting at ZoomLevel10.

Hi Chuck, 

Thanks for your feedback. From your description and code snippet, we can recreate the issue. It should be a bug in SilverlightEdition and we are working on it. Please keep an eye on this thread. 

Regards, 

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

Just closing the loop here.  I was unable to reproduce the bug after upgrading to MS Silverlight 5.0., so I think this issue has been resolved.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck 

I’m glad it’s working now. 

Let me know if you have more comments. 

Thanks, 

Gary

This issue has returned.  I'm currently using build 5.0.91 and experiencing the same double-name problem as shown in the image I posted on 3/27/11.

Chuck, 

Sorry to get you in trouble again, could you please try to download 5.0.0.94(production version) or re-download 5.0 from our website and have a try?  

Production version is a stabilized version and we want to know where is the problem came from. 

Regards, 

Gary