ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

MapSuite Silverlight Edition 3.0 Memory Issue

Hi guys,

We have been using the MapSuite Desktop Edition 2.x for the past two years and are looking into upgrading to the Silverlight Edition 3.0 for our web-based solutions. We have implemented a prototype with the server side generating the map data and passing it on to the client Silverlight app using the SilverlightMapConnector. Although we haven't had any problems loading and displaying the map, we have found that the browser that runs the app chews up a lot of memory and keeps on using more (200+ MB) as you pan, zoom etc. The memory usage does not go down even after the map has finished processing the pan / zoom functions. We have also tried saving the image tile cache in the server but it doesn't solved the memory issue. It seems as if the client Silverlight app is storing all the map image tiles in memory as the user pans around / zooms in and out of the map causing the memory usage to bloat. In contrast, using Google Maps only takes up around 7-9MB of memory. I would appreciate if your support team could assist us with this issue and recommend a solution to reduce the memory usage so that we can go ahead with the Silverlight solution. Please let me know if you have questions regarding the issue.

Thanks,
Nirish

Nirish, 

Thanks for reporting it. Currently we think it causes by IE’s engine. We used to test it in IE, Firefox and chrome. We notice that IE’s memory is keeping increasing when we panning around while Firefox and Chrome’s memory goes to upper and down but keep the average memory using.  

It’s the same issue as the web edition has. The main issue is the image control added into the map. It downloads images into map asynchronizely. When too many images added into the map, the IE maintains too many images processing in the memory. But the IE engine won’t collect the unused image from the memory after it’s removed. 

Google Maps is a pure JavaScript library which doesn’t need Silverlight runtime and xap files running on the client side. While we tested GoogleMaps in IE, its memory is still keeping increasing. 

Please have a test in Firefox and let us know the result. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Thanks, 
 Howard

Hi Howard, 

Thanks for your response. The memory usage is the same in IE, Firefox and Chrome. Would it be a Silverlight issue? I also tried setting the CacheMode of the map object to BitmapCache but that didn’t help. 

What solution do you propose to resolve the memory issue? Our customers are not willing to accept such a huge memory usage on the client side and we’re under a bit of pressure to deliver something feasible very soon. 

Thanks, 

Nirish

Nirish, 

Yes, I think you are right. We did some test on it; the memory goes up to 200+ and keep using that as average value. We need more time on researching it because Silverlight is not easy to debug as desktop. It’s in our schedule currently. We’ll work on it immediately after finishing our priority tasks.  

I’ll work on it next week. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Thanks, 
 Howard

Any update on this issue? We are also facing similar issue. we are using map suite 5.0 silverlight edition.

Hi Muneswar, 

I have replied you in another post. 

I found we have fixed a memory leak issue on the client side for silverlight edition in version 5.0. 

So we need check more information about that. 

Regards, 

Don