ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Marker Vs PointShape Feature

Hi guys,

We're currently using markers to display  vehicles and locatons on the map. We find it much easier to implement than PointShape features on an InMemoryFeatureLayer. My question is: can markers be used even for dynamic points (moving vehicles) or are they just for static points (locations)? Besides the benefit of inheriting feature attributes (shapes, colours etc) across multiple points, what other benefits does a pointshape feature offer over a marker?

Thanks,

Nirish

Hi Nirish,
Markers can be used for dynamic points by modifying the position property. Comparing with markers, point shape feature can be drawn using some other kinds of symbols (like circle, rectangle and star etc.) besides a bitmap, markers can just use a bitmap. And the point shape feature stores some WKB in it and you can convert it to a WKT easily. Other thing is point shape feature can contain some column values but markers can not. 
I think markers also has some more benefit than point shape feature, because you can register some events (such as mouse hover, mouse click etc.) on it, and you also can add some popup on it.
Any more questions please let me know.
Thanks,
Sun

Thanks Sun. I think we’ll stick with markers for now. :)

You are always welcome, Nirish. Any more questions please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Sun