ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

More CPU time

Hi,

I have developed a sample application to display the moving targets (gets the position of the targets from a service asynchronously) on the map by referring the “Efficiently move a marker that represents a car” sample provided in the HowDoISamples. 

Everything worked as expected but the CPU consumption is more and crossed even 90+ % and the same case with memory. This is the same case with the sample provided by the installation as well.

Any thoughts or resolution?

Thanks,

-Muneswar

Muneswar Rao,

Welcome to the community. Hope you enjoy learning and sharing here.

In fact that(Efficiently move a marker that represents a car) is a bad sample. We should not do the redrawing on client side where it has lower performance, instead we should redraw the map on server side which is more efficient. Here we write a sample for you using server side redrawing, please have a look and let us know if you have more issues.

PS: The data file is removed because of the size limitation. Please copy the “AustinStreets” shapefile to “MovingCars/MovingCars.Web/App_Data” to make it work.

Thanks,

Ben

631-MovingCars.zip (24.3 KB)

Hi,

I ran the attached code and could see the CPU usage still crossing 50%.

Any other improvements to bring down the CPU usage.

Thanks,

-Muneswar

Hi Ben, 

Some details about our requirements: 
 We (I and Muneswar) are developing an application where the target data updates are received frequently (once a second or faster) and need to be displayed to user in real time. The positions of existing targets can change, new targets can get added or old targets can get deleted in each update.  

This application can be launched by multiple viewers from many web-clients and real time performance is critical. 

Regards, 
 -Neelendra

Muneswar Rao and Neelendra, 

As we mentioned in the ReadMe file, there are some performance issue caused by MicroSoft deep zoom control, we are developing our own deep zoom control which will fix this issue.  

As far as I investigate, MicroSoft deep zoom control sends more requests than what drawing extent needs, and the SilverLight server-side starts to render images immediately after getting the requests, that’s why we have the performance issue. 

One way to work it around in this version is to use a cached WMS Server which won’t spend much CPU time on rendering images, please have a try if you are interested. We’ll make our server-side control more functional on the cache system and I think in the next version, it will be much better. 

If you have any queries please let me know 

Thanks, 

Ben

Ben, 

Will the mapsuite silverlight component support on the order of 1000 point shape updates per second?  Is this the type of performance we can expect in the next release? 

Nate

Hi, Nate, 

Actually, Silverlight control can update 1000 point shape per second with the current version, as far as I tested, the States data which contains more than 13000 points is displayed within 1 second; Please have a look at our installed samples for that. 

As I mentioned in the last reply, the Microsoft’s deep zoom control seems having a low performance for drawing, we’ll replace it with our own deep zoom control with which the CPU usage will be much better. 

If you have any questions please let us know. 

Thanks, 

Ben 

Ben, 

I guess the question is not whether or not it will function, but how much CPU it will use and if this is the type of application that will be supported.  There doesn’t seem to be any examples to this point showing this type of usage scenario. 

Thanks for your replies.  Would it be possible to setup a call to discuss this further? 

Thanks, 
 Nate

Nate,  

I see what you mean. As we will cut some extra requests in the next version we will definitely reduce the CPU usuage, but for now I’m not sure how much the usuage will be quantitatively. Thanks for reminding and we will have more quantitative performance test before next release.  

If you want to talk to our SilverLight expert, I think you can cantact your sales representative and he can arrange this for you if available. 

Thanks, 

Ben

Ben, 

I understand MapSuite Silverlight Beta 2 is scheduled for end of May with General release tentative for August. Will ths performance improvement be available in MapSuite Silverlight Beta 2? 

We need to conclude technical evaluation for solutions to the problem stated below and this feature, if available by May end, will help us immensely. 

Can you share the results of quantitative performance test on this feature as soon as possible? 

Thanks, 
 -Neelendra

Neelendra, 

Yes, in Silverlight Beta 2, we will have a great performance enhancements. First, we will replace Microsoft Deep Zoom Control with our own one, which will decrease the request times and reduce the CPU usage on client-side. Second, we will have an optimization on whole bunch of places like the drawing logic for example.  

Now in our general test, we can feel the speed raises for about 25% and the CPU usage is much lower than Beta 1. You might have known that with Beta 1, the CPU usage will climb to 100% and keep a while, but now in the new version the CPU usage will come back very soon and the application becomes very responsive. I think you will be satisfied with the performance of Beta 2. 

If you have any questions please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Ben