ThinkGeo.com    |     Documentation    |     Premium Support

Multiple layers from different sources

Hi,

I am using Web Edition 5.0. I have downloaded the eval version WMS Server Edition 5.0. What I am trying to do is have multiple layers from different WMS server shows in the same map. Example:

From local WMS server, load the countries,shp as the base layer Set the IsBaseOvelay=true. On top of that I want to show a regualar Feature Layer consisting of polygons representing zipcodes. On top of that, I want to load roads and cities wms layer from GeoServer. Is this at all possible? All my efforts are in vain. It appears the last loaded 'tiled' layers from any WMS server 'hides' everything, ie. the roads and cities wms layer hides the baselayer and the zipcodes layer.

Can I set the transparency value for the topmost layers so that it does not 'hide' the layers beneath it?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,  

This depends if the layer you are getting from GeoServer supports transparency or not.  It’s pretty common that most layers do support transparency so you are probably in luck.  Most likely you just need to set the transparent property to True on the WMS request and it will work.  

If you send the link to the GeoServer WMS service you are using I can take a look and possibly provide more guidance. 

Thanks!

Thank you so much! it works like a charm!

Glad to help Chris!

Clint,

Once again, thank you for the excellent help and quick response to my question yesterday. The solution opened up a whole new avenue for our application.

Some more questions though.

1.  I see that your sales pitch claims that ThinKGeo WMS Server can serve up pre-tiled images. Loading shapefile is pretty straight forward via the ThinkGeo WMS Server but how do I use/load  pretiled images? 

2. Any recommendation of tool(s) to use to generate the pretiled images from shapefiles and store them on our map server?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, 

Great questions and thanks for the kind words! 

Implementing a TileCache in the WMS Server is really straight forward.  By using the mapConfiguration class you can setup the location of the tile cache for your plugin with the one line of code below: 

mapConfiguration.TileCache = new FileBitmapTileCache(@“C:\Temp\Cache”, “DisplayASimpleMapCache” + style + crs.Replace(":", “”)); 

This code will go into the GetMapConfigurationCore routine and it will autotmatically create a tile cache for each different style and projection that your WMS server supports.  While the server doesn’t pregenerate the tiles it will tile them on demand as the requests come in.  In our opinion this is a much more efficient way to do tiling than to pregenerate all the tiles ahead of time.  The main advantages of tiling on demand versus pretiling include: 

1. If you have are mapping a large area and pregenerate the tiles it will can take an extremely large amount of storage space and processor time to create the tiles for all zoom levels.   Tiling on demand only builds the tile cache as it’s needed so the amount of disk space used will be far less and the amount of processor time will be spread over a longer time period. 
 2. In most applications map tiles are consumed over and over again only very specific areas like populated cities or specific hot spots, the other 90% of the are rarely or never get’s viewed.  With tiling on demand these hot spots get tiled and cached automatically on the first request so all subsequent request perform extremely fast.   
 3. If you data changes and you need pregenerate all the tiles you will have to wait for the generation process to complete.  With on demand tiling all you need to do update your map data, delete the tilecache and you are back in business. 

Hope this information is helpful, please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks! 

Clint, 

Great guidance. I will investigate and let you know what I experience shortly. 

Just as an aside, it looks to me that ThinkGeo follows a similar approach to that of GeoServer and GeoWebCache ( which give me a greater level of confidence that this approach will work). 

Thanks again, 
 Chris

Thanks Chris, let us know if you have any questions or run across any issues. 

Thanks!

Hi ; 

I also have the same problem. I just wanna show google map and wms overlay at the same time. But last loaded tiled wms layer hide google layer. Is there any way to show both of them without using opacity property.By the way how should i set transparency property to my wmsoverlay ?? 
 Thanks… 

Onur

Hello onur,

Thanks for your post, I saw that you created a new post about this question, I will post the answer there.

gis.thinkgeo.com/Support/Dis...aspx#31904

Regards,

Gary